Re: [XP] prioritizing stories

    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2001
      Around Thursday, November 01, 2001, 11:12:10 AM, Bryan Dollery wrote:

      > So, unless I've missed something, we've done something here that isn't
      > entirely honest. Not a lie, because at the time the estimate is as accurate
      > as available data will allow, but still a dishonesty because we _know_ that
      > the estimate is wrong, perhaps only in a small way, but perhaps
      > substantially, and we have no way of knowing which.

      I just tell 'em that this isn't what will happen, but it is a lot like
      what will happen, and that we'll keep 'em informed.

      Tell what you know, and tell what you don't. That's the best I know to
      do.

      You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
      --Inigo Montoya
    • Bryan Dollery
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2001
        Ron Jeffries wrote
        > Around Thursday, November 01, 2001, 11:12:10 AM, Bryan Dollery wrote:
        >
        > > So, unless I've missed something, we've done something here that isn't
        > > entirely honest. Not a lie, because at the time the estimate is
        > as accurate
        > > as available data will allow, but still a dishonesty because we
        > _know_ that
        > > the estimate is wrong, perhaps only in a small way, but perhaps
        > > substantially, and we have no way of knowing which.
        >
        > I just tell 'em that this isn't what will happen, but it is a lot like
        > what will happen, and that we'll keep 'em informed.

        I like this. It seems more honest. Do you really tell your clients that, or
        do you believe that they understand that it is a necessary consequence of
        their request?

        > Tell what you know, and tell what you don't. That's the best I know to
        > do.

        I think that we can agree on that.

        Bryan
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2001
          Around Thursday, November 01, 2001, 11:51:06 AM, Bryan Dollery wrote:

          > I like this. It seems more honest. Do you really tell your clients that, or
          > do you believe that they understand that it is a necessary consequence of
          > their request?

          I tell them that. Stole the idea from Beck: He told the CIO of
          Chrysler exactly that. "This isn't what is going to happen."

          The Great and Powerful Oz has spoken.