RE: [XP] Limiting a story to one 'scenario'

  • Dinwiddie, George
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2001
      Scott Bogartz asked:

      > Is a story that is limited to only one scenario (i.e. no conditional
      > statements - excuse the UML terminology) to fine grained.
      [snip]
      > The previous example was pretty trivial, but consider something like
      > this.
      >
      > "At the end of the pay period the employee recieves a pay check for
      > his hours and pay rate that period with all appropriate taxes and
      > dues removed"
      >
      > Compared to
      > "At the end of the pay period the employee's base pay is his hours
      > worked times his pay rate"
      > "State taxes are deducted from the employee's pay"
      > "Federal taxes are deducted from the employee's pay"
      > "Union dues are deducted from union member's pay"....

      I think the answer has to be "it depends." It depends on the
      situation and the story. Your pay example, to me, shows a reasonable
      breakdown of a story and is preferable to the big, all-in-one story
      that precedes it. However, it may be that there is so little difference
      in state and federal taxes that it's overkill to break it down this
      fine. Depending on the complexity, it might be preferable to roll
      those two back together into "Taxes are deducted from the employee's
      pay."

      My $0.02,
      George