RE: [XP] OOPSLA 2001 trip report

  • Bryan Dollery
    Message 1 of 103 , Nov 1, 2001
      Len Fehskens wrote
      > Brian Dollery reacts to Larry Constantine, thus:
      >
      > >Wow, who ever said that. Again, you seem to be fighting ghosts. Why?
      >
      > >Doing this once is odd, twice may be Freudian.
      >
      > Uncalled for, Brian. The fact is, this kind of response is exactly what
      > Larry was talking about. You're absolutely certain you're right, and
      > he's wrong. Not only wrong, delusional. It was you who said:

      Hey, slow down. If I gave the wrong impression then I'm sorry, but I used
      Freudian (which is what I assume you objected to), as shorthand for
      repressed fears that need to be addressed. I wasn't saying that his opinion
      is delusional, just that this particular line of argument may be based upon
      phantoms.

      I feel that Larry was creating false attributions and then responding to
      them with rational responses in an attempt to make the rest of his posting
      look rational. I really believe that if someone of Larry's obvious
      intelligence has done this then either it is on purpose, a deliberate use of
      fallacious arguments, or is the result of suppressed anxieties surfacing as
      seriously confused thought processes. I can't believe that the guy is just
      stupid, because he so obviously isn't.

      Even if a Luddite opinion or two does slip though the net sometimes, it can
      hardly be attributed to the community. This is painting people with the same
      brush, this indian bloke is a murderer, so all indians are murderes
      (bullsh1t), purely for the sake of enhancing the rest of one's shaky
      argument.

      > >But, some designers just don't know it yet, and continue to waste their
      > >employers money by trying to predict the future, and failing.
      >
      > Is this a ghost?

      No, it is a statement of industry practice. This is far from being a ghost,
      its more like a skeleton in the closet.

      Bryan
    • Fehskens, Len
      Message 103 of 103 , Nov 5, 2001
        Dan Palanza replies to me:

        >Overlapping triplets is precisely how the universal pattern
        >takes form is a bookkeeping framework. Once again, Len,
        >I would love to see this paper.

        Critical typo -- I have been *unable* to find the paper. I believe
        it was published in a SIGPLAN conference proceedings, sometime
        in the '70s.

        len.