RE: [XP] XP and software reuse

  • Knoernschild, Kirk
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2001
      Software reuse has been the destination for a long time. Unfortunately,
      we've never been able to effectivly reach that destination. Instead,
      focusing on resilient systems with flexible architectures has been the
      mantra lately. We are doing this using a number of agile (and some not so
      agile) methods. What we find is that these flexible architectures breed
      reuse because of their ability to change. This is key achieving any degree
      of reuse.

      Kirk Knoernschild
      Senior Consultant
      TeamSoft, inc.
      Consulting, Training, and Mentoring
      www.teamsoftinc.com
      www.kirkk.com

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31, 2001
        Around Wednesday, October 31, 2001, 10:36:39 AM, dariachamrai@... wrote:

        > There are a lot of valuable things in XP and that is true:) But what
        > about reusability? Patterns can provide you with reusable design, but
        > what about reusable code? If we follow Xp rules, we deliver value to
        > our customer, but may be we have right to acquire some valuable
        > things for our team as well? I mean code, which was developed
        > especially to be reused and that definitely required additional
        > investments, but customer pays for that? Does it sense to care about
        > code reusability at all? Or it is just a myth?

        If you develop something useful, why wouldn't you use it again?

        You are closing your eyes to a situation you do not wish to acknowledge.
        --Professor Harold Hill
      • dariachamrai@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
          wrote:

          > > There are a lot of valuable things in XP and that is true:) But
          what
          > > about reusability? Patterns can provide you with reusable design,
          but
          > > what about reusable code? If we follow Xp rules, we deliver value
          > > our customer, but may be we have right to acquire some valuable
          > > things for our team as well? I mean code, which was developed
          > > especially to be reused and that definitely required additional
          > > investments, but customer pays for that? Does it sense to care
          about
          > > code reusability at all? Or it is just a myth?
          >
          > If you develop something useful, why wouldn't you use it again?
          >
          > Ron Jeffries
          > www.XProgramming.com
          > You are closing your eyes to a situation you do not wish to
          acknowledge.
          > --Professor Harold Hill
          Of course we produce a lot of useful code, and use it again, but it
          looks as just "side effect" of good job. We don't invest in
          reusability, because for me it is still not clear - does it have
          sense at all? Experts tell us, that it is required three times more
          efforts to produce reusable soft, but you also must be sure you will
          reuse those later. XP insists on simplicity and the most easy things
          that could probably work...If we develop a graphical application
          which includes development of many things, that looks useful to be
          gathered in a graphical library to be later reused, but that
          definitely requires additional efforts from the team and customer
          doesn't pay for that What should we do? If we have next project,
          which requires our graphical library - we win, if no - ...we have no
          profit form extra cost paid for this side product!!!??? Does somebody
          knows the right answer?
        • Mattias Vannergard
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2001
            I think there is both upsides and downsides to try to reuse code, as you
            say, you have to know that there is an upcoming project in which the code
            will be reused.

            What would be more interesting is reuse of tests on certain patterns.
            (Because patterns are very likely to be used again.)

            In an extension you might be able to use patterns for testing patterns, and
            let your refactoring browser take care of refactoring the corresponding
            tests.

            Does it sound like a reasonable idea?

            regards
            /Mattias