XP and software reuse

  • dariachamrai@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2001
      There are a lot of valuable things in XP and that is true:) But what
      about reusability? Patterns can provide you with reusable design, but
      what about reusable code? If we follow Xp rules, we deliver value to
      our customer, but may be we have right to acquire some valuable
      things for our team as well? I mean code, which was developed
      especially to be reused and that definitely required additional
      investments, but customer pays for that? Does it sense to care about
      code reusability at all? Or it is just a myth?
      D.
    • dariachamrai@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2001
          dariachamrai@... wrote:

          > There are a lot of valuable things in XP and that is true:) But what
          > about reusability? Patterns can provide you with reusable design, but
          > what about reusable code? If we follow Xp rules, we deliver value to
          > our customer, but may be we have right to acquire some valuable
          > things for our team as well? I mean code, which was developed
          > especially to be reused and that definitely required additional
          > investments, but customer pays for that? Does it sense to care about
          > code reusability at all? Or it is just a myth?
          > D.

          It's been my experience that the most reusable code was well refactored, with high
          cohesion and low coupling, and included tests. The XP practices, especially test-first
          design by intention, seem to help foster these qualities. Then again, I've yet to
          reuse code from one XP project to another.

          Mike
        • Knoernschild, Kirk
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 31, 2001
            Software reuse has been the destination for a long time. Unfortunately,
            we've never been able to effectivly reach that destination. Instead,
            focusing on resilient systems with flexible architectures has been the
            mantra lately. We are doing this using a number of agile (and some not so
            agile) methods. What we find is that these flexible architectures breed
            reuse because of their ability to change. This is key achieving any degree
            of reuse.

            Kirk Knoernschild
            Senior Consultant
            TeamSoft, inc.
            Consulting, Training, and Mentoring
            www.teamsoftinc.com
            www.kirkk.com

            There are a lot of valuable things in XP and that is true:) But what
            about reusability? Patterns can provide you with reusable design, but
            what about reusable code? If we follow Xp rules, we deliver value to
            our customer, but may be we have right to acquire some valuable
            things for our team as well? I mean code, which was developed
            especially to be reused and that definitely required additional
            investments, but customer pays for that? Does it sense to care about
            code reusability at all? Or it is just a myth?
            D.

            ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

          • Brian C. Robinson
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 31, 2001
              dariachamrai@... made a strange utterance something like this:
              >There are a lot of valuable things in XP and that is true:) But what
              >about reusability? Patterns can provide you with reusable design, but
              >what about reusable code?

              I've found that removing duplication and refactoring creates massive
              amounts of reusable code. Once you've broken things down into small chunks
              it's easy to compose them in different ways for reuse.

              --
              "The best programmers that I have ever met have an amazing ability to make
              nasty sh*t disappear. *Poof*" Gareth Reeves -- reevesg@...
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 31, 2001
                Around Wednesday, October 31, 2001, 10:36:39 AM, dariachamrai@... wrote:

                > There are a lot of valuable things in XP and that is true:) But what
                > about reusability? Patterns can provide you with reusable design, but
                > what about reusable code? If we follow Xp rules, we deliver value to
                > our customer, but may be we have right to acquire some valuable
                > things for our team as well? I mean code, which was developed
                > especially to be reused and that definitely required additional
                > investments, but customer pays for that? Does it sense to care about
                > code reusability at all? Or it is just a myth?

                If you develop something useful, why wouldn't you use it again?

                You are closing your eyes to a situation you do not wish to acknowledge.
                --Professor Harold Hill
              • dariachamrai@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
                  wrote:

                  > > There are a lot of valuable things in XP and that is true:) But
                  what
                  > > about reusability? Patterns can provide you with reusable design,
                  but
                  > > what about reusable code? If we follow Xp rules, we deliver value
                  > > our customer, but may be we have right to acquire some valuable
                  > > things for our team as well? I mean code, which was developed
                  > > especially to be reused and that definitely required additional
                  > > investments, but customer pays for that? Does it sense to care
                  about
                  > > code reusability at all? Or it is just a myth?
                  >
                  > If you develop something useful, why wouldn't you use it again?
                  >
                  > Ron Jeffries
                  > www.XProgramming.com
                  > You are closing your eyes to a situation you do not wish to
                  acknowledge.
                  > --Professor Harold Hill
                  Of course we produce a lot of useful code, and use it again, but it
                  looks as just "side effect" of good job. We don't invest in
                  reusability, because for me it is still not clear - does it have
                  sense at all? Experts tell us, that it is required three times more
                  efforts to produce reusable soft, but you also must be sure you will
                  reuse those later. XP insists on simplicity and the most easy things
                  that could probably work...If we develop a graphical application
                  which includes development of many things, that looks useful to be
                  gathered in a graphical library to be later reused, but that
                  definitely requires additional efforts from the team and customer
                  doesn't pay for that What should we do? If we have next project,
                  which requires our graphical library - we win, if no - ...we have no
                  profit form extra cost paid for this side product!!!??? Does somebody
                  knows the right answer?
                • Mattias Vannergard
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2001
                    I think there is both upsides and downsides to try to reuse code, as you
                    say, you have to know that there is an upcoming project in which the code
                    will be reused.

                    What would be more interesting is reuse of tests on certain patterns.
                    (Because patterns are very likely to be used again.)

                    In an extension you might be able to use patterns for testing patterns, and
                    let your refactoring browser take care of refactoring the corresponding
                    tests.

                    Does it sound like a reasonable idea?

                    regards
                    /Mattias