Re: [XP] Agile Software Development in The Economist Technology Quarterly

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      Around Monday, October 01, 2001, 10:06:44 AM, Glen B. Alleman wrote:

      > I love the quote in the last paragraph about insisting the agile movement
      > not becoming "...carved in stone methods like XP."

      Seems odd to me ... but it would. I wonder what the interviewee really
      said. Maybe that ...

      Ronald E Jeffries
      it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca
    • acockburn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        Alleman:
        >I love the quote in the last paragraph about insisting the agile
        > movement not becoming "...carved in stone methods like XP."

        Jeffries:
        > Seems odd to me ... but it would. I wonder what the interviewee
        > really said. Maybe that ...

        Alistair:
        I proof-read the article as submitted by the journalist. In the
        last version that I saw, the word XP did not show up in the last
        para at all.

        However, I know that the standard practice in journalism is that
        the higher-up managers have override authority on any sentence
        written by a person lower on the totem pole. I can just imagine
        one such higher-up adding a few words for extra Zing! to an
        ending para that lacked sufficient punch.

        (Extra line feeds manually inserted for the benefit of those with
        antiquated browsers)

        Alistair
      • acockburn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
          I thought I replied to Ron's note online, but it didn't show up, so I'm
          repeating it here.

          Alleman wrote:
          > I love the quote in the last paragraph about insisting the agile movement
          > not becoming "...carved in stone methods like XP."

          Ron replied:
          >Seems odd to me ... but it would. I wonder what the interviewee reallysaid.

          Alistair added:
          I proofread the article just before it was submitted, and the last paragraph
          did not mention the word 'XP'. I recall that in journalism, any higher-up
          editor is allowed to fiddle with any submitted text. So I suspect that some
          higher-up person decided the last para was lacking some needed ending Zing!
          and freely added a few words. Obviously, I like it better without the XP ref,
          but that ref is now in the official text regardless what any Agilites want.
          C'est la journalisme!

          (this version of the append does not contain additional manually entered line
          breaks for people with antiquated browsers)

          Alistair Cockburn
          Humans and Technology

          Author of "Surviving Object-Oriented Projects"
          the Jolt Productivity Award winning "Writing Effective Use Cases"
          and the forthcoming "Agile Software Development"

          http://www.crystalmethodologies.org
          http://members.aol.com/acockburn
          http://www.usecases.org

          alistair.cockburn@...