RE: Top Quote/Bottom Quote

  • Jim.Hyslop
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
      "C. Keith Ray" <ckeithray@...> wrote:
      > on 9/28/01 9:32 AM, Jim.Hyslop at jim.hyslop@... wrote:
      > [...]
      > > I'm told that Outlook 2000 supports Internet-style quoting. I keep
      thinking
      > > about upgrading, but then I remember that its default setting is to
      > > automatically open all attachments...
      >
      > Not with the latest patches...
      Well, OK, they've patched that particular security hole. But it leaves me
      wondering: how many other stupid security blunders have they made, which I
      _can't_ fix by changing a default?

      BTW, for those who've suggested Outlook 98 - unfortunately, we're still on
      LookOut! 97. I'm not sure if the long upgrade time is due to our IS
      department being apathetic, conservative in its upgrade approach, or
      understaffed and overworked. Knowing the size of our IS department, compared
      to the number of people they serve, I suspect it's the last ;-)

      --
      Jim
    • Steve Ropa
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001

        Probably silly for me to get involved in this one, since some prejudices are
        impossible to overcome, but I've been using Outlook for years, never had an
        attachment "automatically open", and never gotten a virus(except the flu).
        If, as some have suggested, you clicked on the paper clip in the preview
        pane, the default action of open happened. It is documented that this is
        what the default action is, so I would have to point to user error.
      • Dossy
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
          On 2001.10.01, Jim.Hyslop <jim.hyslop@...> wrote:
          > BTW, for those who've suggested Outlook 98 - unfortunately, we're still on
          > LookOut! 97.

          I was one of the people who said that Outlook 98 supports "internet
          style" quoting (prefixing quoted lines with '> ') and now I'm going
          to say that Outlook 97 does, as well.

          Step 1: &Tools -> &Options

          Step 2: Select the "Reading" tab (you'd think this would be under
          "Sending", but no...)

          Step 3: Check the box to the left of "&Mark my comments with:"

          Step 4: In the dialog box to the right, enter "> " without the
          double quotes. Be sure to put a whitespace after the
          greater-than sign for proper effect.

          Step 5: Click the "OK" button.

          I've only run a brief acceptance test using my copy of Outlook 97,
          but it seems to do what I expected.

          Enjoy!

          -- Dossy

          --