Cost of XP

  • Paul Butcher
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
      All,

      I am looking for two things, and would appreciate the list's help on
      either:

      1) Any papers or case studies which study the "cost" of XP. The
      more quantitative the better.

      2) Anyone who has experience of using XP within an environment
      as close as possible to C/C++ server (UNIX, Windows 2000)
      and embedded (Windows CE, Palm, EPOC) development in the
      telecomms industry and who would be willing to share their
      experiences.

      Thanks!

      Why am I looking for this? I've recently changed jobs and I am trying to
      persuade the company to move towards XP. The CEO would understandably
      like as much hard data as possible. If there is anyone who would has
      been using XP in a similar area and would be willing to share their
      experiences, it would help me a great deal.

      As for me, I've been using XP for well over a year in a C++ and
      telecomms environment at my previous company, so I know that it works!

      Thanks again,

      paul.butcher->msgCount++

      Snetterton, Cadwell Park, Castle Combe...
      Who says I have a one track mind?
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
        > So far my impressions have been positive. It has taken a long time for the
        > group to gel, mainly because we all have different beliefs about "the right
        > way" to do software development. We have made a few false starts, mostly
        > when we relied more on up front design than DTSTTCPW.

        Small up front design is fine. It should not conflict with DoSimpleThings,
        though, because the connection between them should be TestDrivenDesign.

        If you think of a good Design Pattern for the code to follow, you should not
        just type it in. Follow the game called Name That Design. Write the minimum
        number of test cases that will ... encourage you to - via OAOO - to install
        the design you think you need.

        For example, I think it should take two - possibly three - test cases to
        force you to put all SQL in a module separate from the business code.

        --
        Phlip

        http://www.greencheese.org/MakeItSo
      • Brian C. Robinson
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
          At 06:49 AM 10/1/01, you wrote:
          >2) Anyone who has experience of using XP within an environment
          > as close as possible to C/C++ server (UNIX, Windows 2000)
          > and embedded (Windows CE, Palm, EPOC) development in the
          > telecomms industry and who would be willing to share their
          > experiences.

          Not embedded but our current XP project is a C++ server application
          involving both WAN and LAN traffic.

          So far my impressions have been positive. It has taken a long time for the
          group to gel, mainly because we all have different beliefs about "the right
          way" to do software development. We have made a few false starts, mostly
          when we relied more on up front design than DTSTTCPW. Now that we are
          working better together and DTSTTCPW things have been going quite a bit
          smoother. I'm expecting to see a big jump in velocity this iteration
          because everyone is just cranking out code, and good code at that.

          I'm not sure what you are looking for so any other questions you have let
          me know.
        • Brian C. Robinson
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
            At 12:30 PM 10/1/01, you wrote:
            >Small up front design is fine. It should not conflict with DoSimpleThings,
            >though, because the connection between them should be TestDrivenDesign.

            I'm not saying it's bad all the time, just in our case it was.