Re: Place for rarified skills?

  • david.abrahams@rcn.com
    Message 1 of 50 , Oct 1 4:29 AM
      James Goebel wrote:

      <snip good stuff>

      > When I work with experienced developers who are yearning to
      > become architects I have one lesson that I repeatedly focus on. I
      > explain that my opinion of their efforts will be based upon my
      > review of everyone else's source code. I do not evaluate the
      > architect's code nor even the interfaces they design. I want to
      > know how their interfaces have led others to write maintainable
      > code. That is one of the most valuable rarified skills!

      Thank you for your thoughtful response. The wealth of knowledge about
      effective software project management and training here is really
      impressive.

      -Da
    • Darren Hobbs
      Message 50 of 50 , Nov 13, 2001
        --- In extremeprogramming@y..., kevinxp@q... wrote:
        > --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@a...>
        wrote:
        > > Please, if you have time, tell me of the ways your team deviates
        > > from "pure XP" as you understand it. I'm especially interested in
        > > things involving software tools, wikis, scanners, NetMeeting, and
        > > the like.
        >
        > ...(snipped)...
        >
        > We considered a wiki, but our intranet isn't set up to host one
        > right now, and it didn't seem worth it to select, learn, and
        > install one. So we did the simplest thing (Word).
        >
        > Kevin
        We've just installed a wiki as the basis for a team intranet /
        knowledgebase / project discussion forum. We're still in
        the 'germination/evangelisation' stage (ie. there's not much on it
        yet, so only one or two people are actively using and adding to it).
        The initial feedback has been good and people are starting to use it
        without being prompted. It works well as an intranet as we're all
        too busy to craft HTML pages and keep them up to date, but typing a
        few lines into a wiki takes moments. The system we use is TWiki
        (www.twiki.org), which runs on apache and uses RCS to give us a bit
        more safety with regard to changing content. It also warns if two
        people try to change the same page within a certain time period to
        flag potential edit conflicts.

        A wiki works well as an alternative to long email threads when the
        subject under discussion has relevance to the whole team. Its also a
        handy repository for feasibility documents and articles written about
        individual projects.

        -Darren