RE: Top Quote/Bottom Quote

  • Jim.Hyslop
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2001
      "Erik Hanson" <ehanson@...> wrote:
      > In fact, I use Outlook Express for Windows and I do reposition the insert
      > cursor. I also have to [list of tasks eliminated].
      > It's a chore.
      I know! Not only that, but (with the full version of Outlook, at least) I
      have to manually prepend the "> " to each line I quote. ICK!! On the
      positive side, though, that makes sure I keep my quoting to a minimum :-)

      I'm told that Outlook 2000 supports Internet-style quoting. I keep thinking
      about upgrading, but then I remember that its default setting is to
      automatically open all attachments...

      > I do it because I've been around long enough
      > to know the right way, and because I'm embarrased to be using Outlook
      > Express.
      I think we need a Support Group for Outlook Users.

      [me] "Hello, my name is Jim, and I use Outlook."

      [all] "Hello, Jim!"

      --
      Jim
    • C. Keith Ray
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 28, 2001
        on 9/28/01 9:32 AM, Jim.Hyslop at jim.hyslop@... wrote:
        [...]
        > I'm told that Outlook 2000 supports Internet-style quoting. I keep thinking
        > about upgrading, but then I remember that its default setting is to
        > automatically open all attachments...

        Not with the latest patches...
      • Dan Palanza
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 28, 2001
          Jim.Hyslop wrote:

          >> It's a chore.
          >I know! Not only that, but (with the full version of Outlook, at least) I
          >have to manually prepend the "> " to each line I quote. ICK!! On the
          >positive side, though, that makes sure I keep my quoting to a minimum :-)
          >
          >I'm told that Outlook 2000 supports Internet-style quoting. I keep thinking
          >about upgrading, but then I remember that its default setting is to
          >automatically open all attachments...

          Wouldn't it be nice to have software written to rules set by an informed
          community of users.

          Dan
        • John Hayes
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 28, 2001

            I believe outlook 98 supports it as well. Go to Tools|Options, on the
            mail format tab set the message format to Plain Text. From the
            Preferences Tab, Email Options dialog, set "When replying to a message"
            to "Prefix each line of the original message".

            That default setting is when you select the file from the "clip" icon in
            the preview pane. So it's "automatic" as much as "automatically doing
            what you tell it to" is.

            John
          • Dossy
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 28, 2001
              On 2001.09.28, Jim.Hyslop <jim.hyslop@...> wrote:
              > I'm told that Outlook 2000 supports Internet-style quoting.

              I know for a fact that Outlook 98 does, too.

              What I think is worse than any top or bottom quoting are the
              evil people who use inline quoting.

              > I think we need a Support Group for Outlook Users.
              >
              > [me] "Hello, my name is Jim, and I use Outlook."
              >
              > [all] "Hello, Jim!"

              I think you mean:

              Hello, my name is Jim, and I use Outlook. [Hyslop, Jim]

              Hello, Jim! [All]

              (An example of Outlook's evil "inline quoting" style, sans
              the colorization.)

              -- Dossy

              --
              Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
            • Matthew Davis
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 28, 2001
                --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Dan Palanza <dan@c...> wrote:
                > Wouldn't it be nice to have software written to rules set by an
                informed
                > community of users.

                That's a great idea! I wish I could find an informed community of
                users. :-)

                -M5w
              • Jim.Hyslop
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
                  "C. Keith Ray" <ckeithray@...> wrote:
                  > on 9/28/01 9:32 AM, Jim.Hyslop at jim.hyslop@... wrote:
                  > [...]
                  > > I'm told that Outlook 2000 supports Internet-style quoting. I keep
                  thinking
                  > > about upgrading, but then I remember that its default setting is to
                  > > automatically open all attachments...
                  >
                  > Not with the latest patches...
                  Well, OK, they've patched that particular security hole. But it leaves me
                  wondering: how many other stupid security blunders have they made, which I
                  _can't_ fix by changing a default?

                  BTW, for those who've suggested Outlook 98 - unfortunately, we're still on
                  LookOut! 97. I'm not sure if the long upgrade time is due to our IS
                  department being apathetic, conservative in its upgrade approach, or
                  understaffed and overworked. Knowing the size of our IS department, compared
                  to the number of people they serve, I suspect it's the last ;-)

                  --
                  Jim
                • Steve Ropa
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001

                    Probably silly for me to get involved in this one, since some prejudices are
                    impossible to overcome, but I've been using Outlook for years, never had an
                    attachment "automatically open", and never gotten a virus(except the flu).
                    If, as some have suggested, you clicked on the paper clip in the preview
                    pane, the default action of open happened. It is documented that this is
                    what the default action is, so I would have to point to user error.
                  • Dossy
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
                      On 2001.10.01, Jim.Hyslop <jim.hyslop@...> wrote:
                      > BTW, for those who've suggested Outlook 98 - unfortunately, we're still on
                      > LookOut! 97.

                      I was one of the people who said that Outlook 98 supports "internet
                      style" quoting (prefixing quoted lines with '> ') and now I'm going
                      to say that Outlook 97 does, as well.

                      Step 1: &Tools -> &Options

                      Step 2: Select the "Reading" tab (you'd think this would be under
                      "Sending", but no...)

                      Step 3: Check the box to the left of "&Mark my comments with:"

                      Step 4: In the dialog box to the right, enter "> " without the
                      double quotes. Be sure to put a whitespace after the
                      greater-than sign for proper effect.

                      Step 5: Click the "OK" button.

                      I've only run a brief acceptance test using my copy of Outlook 97,
                      but it seems to do what I expected.

                      Enjoy!

                      -- Dossy

                      --