Re: [XP] Product development and XP

  • Jim McFarland
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2001
      --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Phlip <pplumlee@c...> wrote:

      > The reason is because XP exploits a fundamental conflict of interest
      > between engineers & customers...
      >
      > Engineers want to gold-plate and pad their resume by working on
      > a very few, very hard problems for a long time.

      Maybe some do, but I wouldn't say this is a general rule.

      > Customers want to deliver the largest set of dumb features as
      > fast as possible using the simplest but cleanest code possible.

      I haven't met many customers who cared if the code was simple and clean. They just wanted it to work.

      > Other methodologies fear & repress this dichotomy; XP exploits it
      > via the PlanningGame.

      All other methodologies, published or proprietary, are not the same. To say they all fear and repress this dichotomy is not true, and to have to make negative remarks about other methods to prove every point about XP is not necessary. Just make the point and leave out the propaganda.

      later...
      jim