Agile Software Development in The Economist Technology Quarterly

  • acockburn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2001
      in the Sept 26 issue.

      http://www.economist.com/science/tq/displayStory.cfm?Story_id=779429

      subscribers to the magazine can view it today
      nonsubscribers can pay $3 to view it today, or wait 4-5 days after which it
      becomes free.

      Alistair Cockburn
      Humans and Technology

      Author of "Surviving Object-Oriented Projects"
      the Jolt Productivity Award winning "Writing Effective Use Cases"
      and the forthcoming "Agile Software Development"

      http://www.crystalmethodologies.org
      http://members.aol.com/acockburn
      http://www.usecases.org

      alistair.cockburn@...
      7691 Dell Rd.
      Salt Lake City, UT 84121
      Work Phone: 801.947.9275
      Fax: 775.416.6457

    • Glen B. Alleman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        I love the quote in the last paragraph about insisting the agile movement
        not becoming "...carved in stone methods like XP."

        Glen Alleman
        Niwot Ridge Consulting
        www.niwotridge.com

        subscribers to the magazine can view it today
        nonsubscribers can pay $3 to view it today, or wait 4-5 days after which it
        becomes free.

        Alistair Cockburn
        Humans and Technology

        Author of "Surviving Object-Oriented Projects"
        the Jolt Productivity Award winning "Writing Effective Use Cases"
        and the forthcoming "Agile Software Development"

        http://www.crystalmethodologies.org
        http://members.aol.com/acockburn
        http://www.usecases.org

        alistair.cockburn@...
        7691 Dell Rd.
        Salt Lake City, UT 84121
        Work Phone: 801.947.9275
        Fax: 775.416.6457

        ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
          Around Monday, October 01, 2001, 10:06:44 AM, Glen B. Alleman wrote:

          > I love the quote in the last paragraph about insisting the agile movement
          > not becoming "...carved in stone methods like XP."

          Seems odd to me ... but it would. I wonder what the interviewee really
          said. Maybe that ...

          Ronald E Jeffries
          it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca
        • acockburn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
            Alleman:
            >I love the quote in the last paragraph about insisting the agile
            > movement not becoming "...carved in stone methods like XP."

            Jeffries:
            > Seems odd to me ... but it would. I wonder what the interviewee
            > really said. Maybe that ...

            Alistair:
            I proof-read the article as submitted by the journalist. In the
            last version that I saw, the word XP did not show up in the last
            para at all.

            However, I know that the standard practice in journalism is that
            the higher-up managers have override authority on any sentence
            written by a person lower on the totem pole. I can just imagine
            one such higher-up adding a few words for extra Zing! to an
            ending para that lacked sufficient punch.

            (Extra line feeds manually inserted for the benefit of those with
            antiquated browsers)

            Alistair
          • acockburn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
              I thought I replied to Ron's note online, but it didn't show up, so I'm
              repeating it here.

              Alleman wrote:
              > I love the quote in the last paragraph about insisting the agile movement
              > not becoming "...carved in stone methods like XP."

              Ron replied:
              >Seems odd to me ... but it would. I wonder what the interviewee reallysaid.

              Alistair added:
              I proofread the article just before it was submitted, and the last paragraph
              did not mention the word 'XP'. I recall that in journalism, any higher-up
              editor is allowed to fiddle with any submitted text. So I suspect that some
              higher-up person decided the last para was lacking some needed ending Zing!
              and freely added a few words. Obviously, I like it better without the XP ref,
              but that ref is now in the official text regardless what any Agilites want.
              C'est la journalisme!

              (this version of the append does not contain additional manually entered line
              breaks for people with antiquated browsers)