Why Alistair S2ks (Part III)

  • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2001
      Alistair s2ks because he showed XP is not a silver bullet.

      Ever notice that when someone says ______ is not a silver bullet, _____ is
      in fact considered a silver bullet? Alistair points out in his rant that
      there is something wishy washy when questions are asked along the lines of
      "What is XP?" The answers, as Mr. Cockburn points out in such a s2ky way
      often take the form of prescriptive rules followed by disavowing all rules.
      XP is shown as a strict discipline, but then repackaged with warm fuzzies
      so no one is scared off.

      I would say that this is where you are most s2ky Alistair because you have
      raised doubts that XP can solve the world's problems and we all know that
      is what we are here for. Way to disillusion us pal.

      That's right, Alistair you s2k because you went and showed that we can't
      just pick up a book, read it, and substitute that reading for real
      experience -- even if Kent wrote the book.

      And I would say that has dashed the hopes of many people -- both those
      waiting to say "Aha! I knew you XP'rs thought you had a silver bullet" and
      those who were saying "I don't have time to learn anything, just tell me
      what I need to do, so I can be successful"

      Yup, it seems you truly s2k Alistair.
    • Stefan Schmiedl
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2001
        ... is not a silver bullet seems to be a silver bullet for
        stopping things.

        "put more people on the project" inasb, so stop it.
        "big design up front" inasb, so stop it.
        some even say "xp" inasb, so ... improve it?

        does anybody know of a thing that is not stopped by
        not being a silver bullet?

        otherwise we could say "xp is the thing that survived not being a silver bullet"

        there must be an article somewhere about
        "considered harmul considered harmful" ...

        s.

        From: wecaputo@...
        To: To extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
        Date: 2001-09-24 09:05
        Subject: [XP] Why Alistair S2ks (Part III)

        --
        Stefan Schmiedl
        EDV-Beratung, Programmierung, Schulung

        Change is Constant
      • Dale Emery
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 24, 2001
          Hi Stefan,

          > ... is not a silver bullet seems to be a silver bullet for
          > stopping things.

          I don't read people's comments that way. What I hear people saying
          is, "XYZ is not a silver bullet, so don't imagine that the problem is
          entirely solved. You're still gonna have to think."

          Dale