RE: [XP] No version control

  • Robert Watkins
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
      Bill Caputo wrote:
      > David Corbin:
      > >I think PVCS is available for mainframes.
      >
      > If that is the case, then CruiseControl is also an option as a PVCS
      > element was just added to CC -- if java is available in that
      > environment.

      Bear in mind that, while CC and Ant both require Java, you don't actually
      have to be working in Java to benefit from it.

      Because Ant can fire command-line processes, you can easily use it to invoke
      your existing build scripts (be they makefiles or some other utility). With
      a "wrapper" Ant build file in place, you can use CruiseControl to invoke
      _that_, and get a nice continuous integration system up and running.

      CC supports a lot of version-control systems these days, and if your
      favourite one isn't there, it's fairly easy to add.

      As a serious matter, I don't think I would put in place a continuous
      integration process without automated support like this. It is such an easy
      thing to setup, and the benefits of knowing the state of your code easily is
      amazing. This becomes especially true once your full test suite gets too big
      for a developer to easily run.

      Robert.

      --
      "Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side,
      and it holds the universe together"
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
        Robert Watkins:
        >Bear in mind that, while CC and Ant both require Java, you don't actually
        >have to be working in Java to benefit from it.

        Absolutely, I hope I didn't imply otherwise. I merely meant that they would
        need Java for CC and Ant.

        >Because Ant can fire command-line processes, you can easily use it to
        invoke
        >your existing build scripts (be they makefiles or some other utility).
        With
        >a "wrapper" Ant build file in place, you can use CruiseControl to invoke
        >_that_, and get a nice continuous integration system up and running.

        This is exactly what we did with a recent VC++ project at ThoughtWorks.
        Currently, we are taking what we learned, and working on ways to make it a
        little easier for us to use CC with C++. If it works out, we will be
        sending items to you guys on the CC mailing list to see if you might want
        it for the main CC distro.

        I also have finally finished a case study of how we did Continuous
        Integration in VC++, and I plan on getting that out shortly. The article
        explains how we implemented CI (we ended up calling MSDEV from Ant), and
        the role CruiseControl played in our CI implementation.

        Best,
        Bill