Re: [XP] No version control

  • Mike Bowler
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
      > What do you mean by "they have no version control"? Do they at least have two sets of
      > libraries: one for production code, one for where they're doing development?

      Yes, they have two sets of libraries. Code that actually makes it into production will get
      backed up at the point that it is promoted so there is a primitive form of version control
      there. Code in the development environment has no version control at all and many of the
      host developers that I've spoken to aren't even aware of what version control is.

      BTW Thanks for the links.

      > I assume from your posts they are actually doing
      >development on the mainframe itself using 3270 terminals,
      > rather than developng on Windows or OS2 and deploying
      > on the mainframe.

      I don't honestly know but I've been assuming, from things that have been said, that they are
      using 3270 terminals.

      I've been working with this client on their java code for a while. They've asked me to
      explain how XP would work in the host and notes areas so I'm just starting to learn about
      them now. I've never done development in either of these areas before. Hence the lack of
      general knowledge of what they're doing.

      --
      Mike Bowler
      Principal, Gargoyle Software Inc.
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
        Bill Caputo wrote:
        > David Corbin:
        > >I think PVCS is available for mainframes.
        >
        > If that is the case, then CruiseControl is also an option as a PVCS
        > element was just added to CC -- if java is available in that
        > environment.

        Bear in mind that, while CC and Ant both require Java, you don't actually
        have to be working in Java to benefit from it.

        Because Ant can fire command-line processes, you can easily use it to invoke
        your existing build scripts (be they makefiles or some other utility). With
        a "wrapper" Ant build file in place, you can use CruiseControl to invoke
        _that_, and get a nice continuous integration system up and running.

        CC supports a lot of version-control systems these days, and if your
        favourite one isn't there, it's fairly easy to add.

        As a serious matter, I don't think I would put in place a continuous
        integration process without automated support like this. It is such an easy
        thing to setup, and the benefits of knowing the state of your code easily is
        amazing. This becomes especially true once your full test suite gets too big
        for a developer to easily run.

        Robert.

        --
        "Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side,
        and it holds the universe together"
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
          Robert Watkins:
          >Bear in mind that, while CC and Ant both require Java, you don't actually
          >have to be working in Java to benefit from it.

          Absolutely, I hope I didn't imply otherwise. I merely meant that they would
          need Java for CC and Ant.

          >Because Ant can fire command-line processes, you can easily use it to
          invoke
          >your existing build scripts (be they makefiles or some other utility).
          With
          >a "wrapper" Ant build file in place, you can use CruiseControl to invoke
          >_that_, and get a nice continuous integration system up and running.

          This is exactly what we did with a recent VC++ project at ThoughtWorks.
          Currently, we are taking what we learned, and working on ways to make it a
          little easier for us to use CC with C++. If it works out, we will be
          sending items to you guys on the CC mailing list to see if you might want
          it for the main CC distro.

          I also have finally finished a case study of how we did Continuous
          Integration in VC++, and I plan on getting that out shortly. The article
          explains how we implemented CI (we ended up calling MSDEV from Ant), and
          the role CruiseControl played in our CI implementation.

          Best,
          Bill