RE: [XP] reason meme

  • Bryan Dollery
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2001
      John Carter explained
      > <snip> - You can all go back to the original post if you want to read it,
      but its too long to repeat her.

      That was excellent, did you make it all up?

      Bryan ;->
    • Stephen Swope
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 3, 2001
        --- acockburn@... wrote:
        > [re: Julian Jaynes, "The origin of consciousness
        > in the break-down of the bicameral mind"]
        > I still refer to his theory from time to time.
        > I don't really think it will be proven correct
        > in the end,

        It _can't_ be proven. There's no empirical basis by
        which (to use Karl Popper's term) the theory can be
        "falsified". That is, there is no way to produce a
        counter-instance in which the expected results of the
        theory do not obtain.

        I still think it's quite interesting, however.

        =====
        --
        Steve Swope
        solution architect, Atos Origin, Inc.

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Larry Constantine
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 17, 2001
          One of our repeated claims--that up-front design is the route to truly
          world-class product design, especially for complex, highly-sophisticated
          applications--has received some independent support. The innovative IDE for
          PLC programming in automation applications that we helped Siemens AG design
          was just awarded first place in the annual Performance-Centered Design
          Competition. (You'll find details and our winning submission at
          http://foruse.com/.)

          This was a model-driven development based on essential use cases and
          usage-centered design. It may not be XP, but I would argue that the 14 week
          up-front design by the 5-person design team represents an acceptably small
          initial commitment to get it right the first time around on a 2-year-plus
          effort with a dozen-and-a-half developers. The big payoffs came from
          complete task modeling, which enabled a design that markedly cut user steps
          and errors through a close fit to the work, and from abstract prototyping,
          which led to an innovative and effective user interface design. (one judge
          in the competition described the design as "enormously impressive,...a
          wonderful stretching of the EPSS [electronic performance-support system]
          paradigm.")

          Clients trying usage-centered design on smaller projects as a run-up to XP
          are finding that a proportionate level of time and resource investment prior
          to the XP work yields big returns. Perhaps others in this group have
          relevant experiences to share.

          --Larry Constantine
          Director of Research & Development | Constantine & Lockwood, Ltd.
          58 Kathleen Circle | Rowley, MA 01969
          t: +1 978 948 5012 | f: +1 978 948 5036 | www.foruse.com