[XP] Re: Re: (OTUG) eXPedition -- Kent Beck, Ron Jeffries, an d Robert Martin tour of the East Coast.

  • Scott Jackson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2000
      The rhead

      Scott Jackson
      Process Engineer
      FastParts.com
      vox:408 360-1340
      fax: 408 360-9119

      -----Original Message-----
      From: John Brewer [mailto:jbrewer@...]
      Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2000 1:37 PM
      To: extremeprogramming@...
      Subject: [XP] Re: Re: (OTUG) eXPedition -- Kent Beck, Ron Jeffries,
      and Robert Martin tour of the East Coast.

      "alan francis" <alan-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/extremeprogramming/?start
      =3323
      > Not to mention ObjectMentor Courses bringing in $3000 per head * n
      > people...

      Your head may vary, but I paid $3500 for mine to attend. Worth every
      penny.

      John Brewer
      Jera Design

      Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

      -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
      -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=extremeprogramming&m=1
    • Scott Jackson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2000
        So that's where my unfinished comment went <Blush>

        I was trying to say that you can pay a local teaching organization for a
        ?competent? instructor to show you around the IDE of Jbuilder, VisualCafe,
        or ??? and not realize half the opportunity of that having the three xpero's
        with you at the same time... Sure, I'm an acolyte having first heard Kent
        at user meeting
        held at Taligent 3years ago. My buddy then showed PLOP books (fizz, fizz)
        and the SVP brought Kent to Palo Alto last year. I have my Boss convinced
        that there are aspects of XP worthy of our use.
        I must continue to lobby or find alliances within our programmer body to see
        it happen. We have outgroan (really) people-space; I hope to build a
        pair-space when we move...

        Scott Jackson
        Process Engineer
        FastParts.com
        vox:408 360-1340

        "alan francis" <alan-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/extremeprogramming/?start
        =3323
        > Not to mention ObjectMentor Courses bringing in $3000 per head * n
        > people...

        Your head may vary, but I paid $3500 for mine to attend. Worth every
        penny.

        John Brewer
        Jera Design

        Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

        Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

        eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/extremeprogramming/
      • Robert C. Martin
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 16, 2000
          > From: Alan Francis [mailto:alanf@...]
          >
          > Not to mention ObjectMentor Courses bringing in $3000 per head * n
          > people...

          The $3,500 price tag is not hard to understand when you realize that we
          have to pay and fly Kent, Ward, Martin, Ron, and four other instructors,
          rent a *big* room at a nice resort, rent 25 good PCs, pay for food and
          snacks throughout the week, etc, etc. This is not a cheap class to
          conduct. We make money, don't get me wrong; but its not like we walk
          away with anything even close to $3,500*n in our pockets.

          > I'm not cynical about UncleBob personal reaons for getting involved
          > with XP, but I am somewhat cynical about ObjectMentor Inc.s sudden
          > "Evangelising for Fun and Profit"

          Cynicism can be healthy, and I expect any reasoning person to do their
          homework regarding the stuff we talk about. And as far as the
          difference between Object Mentor and me, the buck stops with me.

          Robert C. Martin | President | Training Courses:
          Object Mentor Inc. | rmartin@... | OOD, Patterns, C++,
          Java,
          PO Box 85 | Tel: (800) 338-6716 | Extreme Programming.
          Grayslake IL 60030 | Fax: (847) 548-6853 |
          http://www.objectmentor.com