RE: [XP] RE: XP Documentation (long, but glen asked)

  • Ivan Tomek
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
      Thanks, I got it now. Still, I am curious, is it possible to join the agile
      modeling forum? If so, how?

      Ivan

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
        Around Saturday, September 01, 2001, 1:34:18 PM, Ivan Tomek wrote:

        > Thanks, I got it now. Still, I am curious, is it possible to join the agile
        > modeling forum? If so, how?

        It's on topica.com. Search for agile modeling, two words. It's kind of
        hard to find ...

        Ronald E Jeffries
        www.XProgramming.com
        You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure,
        what you do not understand. --Leonardo da Vinci
      • C. Keith Ray
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
          >> So when time comes to move, and the programmers have to "document" what they
          >> done for the maintenance folks one question might be - have you seen this
          >> work?
          >
          > I am aware of no XP project that has as yet done a handoff.

          One is describe in a paper somewhere... I can't find it in the book "Extreme
          Programming Examined". Searching the XPUniverse papers...

          Note that instead of doing documentation stories, this contracting company
          did pair programming to transfer the knowledge of the system under
          development:

          http://www.xpuniverse.com/XPU03.pdf

          Pairing with Client Developers
          We knew from the start of this project that we
          would need to hand off our code to the in-house
          developers in the customers' organization after
          six or seven weeks. For much of the project, the
          technical lead from that organization was onsite
          and working with the development team. There
          were four other (newly hired) developers that
          paired with us for differing periods of time
          during the last three weeks.

          ----

          C. Keith Ray
          <http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/resume.html>
        • Mike Clark
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
            Ron Jeffries wrote:

            > I am aware of no XP project that has as yet done a handoff.
            >
            > > Your C3 example in previous posts didn't keep the docs up to date
            > > documents and when it was so rudely canceled left you with no maintenance
            > > docs other than the UTs and code (ST is much more expressive languages than
            > > Java or C++ it would be very well suited for "self documenting code").
            >
            > Yes, C3 was dropped without documents. One could argue, I suppose,
            > that we "should" have kept a bunch up to date just in case they shot
            > us in the head. I don't think so, as they aren't trying to maintain
            > it. In a stupid sort of way, the right thing happened.

            Pardon my ignorance of C3, but is it in production? I had heard somewhere that it was
            funded as a research project.

            Mike
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
              Around Saturday, September 01, 2001, 3:59:49 PM, Mike Clark wrote:

              > Pardon my ignorance of C3, but is it in production? I had heard somewhere that it was
              > funded as a research project.

              C3 started (in XP mode) in 1996, launched in 1997, and was closed down
              at the beginning of 2001. It may still be paying something like 5
              people, but it's essentially stopped. The project was intended to
              deliver something useful, but was in fact funded out of IS as a
              research project, instead of by the customer, which was how Chrysler
              projects were usually funded.

              Ronald E Jeffries
            • Ilja Preuss
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2001