Re: [XP] RE: XP Documentation (long, but glen asked)

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
      Around Saturday, September 01, 2001, 12:42:11 PM, Ivan Tomek wrote:

      > Which forum is that?

      The agile modeling forum. But the document will be up on my web site
      shortly. A draft is there now, at ...
      http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/Documentation%20in%20XP.htm

      Comments are welcome ...

      Ronald E Jeffries
      www.XProgramming.com
      No one expects the Spanish Inquisition ...
    • Ivan Tomek
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
        Thanks, I got it now. Still, I am curious, is it possible to join the agile
        modeling forum? If so, how?

        Ivan

        Around Saturday, September 01, 2001, 12:42:11 PM, Ivan Tomek wrote:

        > Which forum is that?

        The agile modeling forum. But the document will be up on my web site
        shortly. A draft is there now, at ...
        http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/Documentation%20in%20XP.htm

        Comments are welcome ...

        Ronald E Jeffries
        www.XProgramming.com
        No one expects the Spanish Inquisition ...

        ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
          Around Saturday, September 01, 2001, 1:34:18 PM, Ivan Tomek wrote:

          > Thanks, I got it now. Still, I am curious, is it possible to join the agile
          > modeling forum? If so, how?

          It's on topica.com. Search for agile modeling, two words. It's kind of
          hard to find ...

          Ronald E Jeffries
          www.XProgramming.com
          You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure,
          what you do not understand. --Leonardo da Vinci
        • C. Keith Ray
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
            >> So when time comes to move, and the programmers have to "document" what they
            >> done for the maintenance folks one question might be - have you seen this
            >> work?
            >
            > I am aware of no XP project that has as yet done a handoff.

            One is describe in a paper somewhere... I can't find it in the book "Extreme
            Programming Examined". Searching the XPUniverse papers...

            Note that instead of doing documentation stories, this contracting company
            did pair programming to transfer the knowledge of the system under
            development:

            http://www.xpuniverse.com/XPU03.pdf

            Pairing with Client Developers
            We knew from the start of this project that we
            would need to hand off our code to the in-house
            developers in the customers' organization after
            six or seven weeks. For much of the project, the
            technical lead from that organization was onsite
            and working with the development team. There
            were four other (newly hired) developers that
            paired with us for differing periods of time
            during the last three weeks.

            ----

            C. Keith Ray
            <http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/resume.html>
          • Mike Clark
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
              Ron Jeffries wrote:

              > I am aware of no XP project that has as yet done a handoff.
              >
              > > Your C3 example in previous posts didn't keep the docs up to date
              > > documents and when it was so rudely canceled left you with no maintenance
              > > docs other than the UTs and code (ST is much more expressive languages than
              > > Java or C++ it would be very well suited for "self documenting code").
              >
              > Yes, C3 was dropped without documents. One could argue, I suppose,
              > that we "should" have kept a bunch up to date just in case they shot
              > us in the head. I don't think so, as they aren't trying to maintain
              > it. In a stupid sort of way, the right thing happened.

              Pardon my ignorance of C3, but is it in production? I had heard somewhere that it was
              funded as a research project.

              Mike
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
                Around Saturday, September 01, 2001, 3:59:49 PM, Mike Clark wrote:

                > Pardon my ignorance of C3, but is it in production? I had heard somewhere that it was
                > funded as a research project.

                C3 started (in XP mode) in 1996, launched in 1997, and was closed down
                at the beginning of 2001. It may still be paying something like 5
                people, but it's essentially stopped. The project was intended to
                deliver something useful, but was in fact funded out of IS as a
                research project, instead of by the customer, which was how Chrysler
                projects were usually funded.

                Ronald E Jeffries
              • Ilja Preuss
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2001