[XP] Re: Re: [XP] Coach question

  • Ken Auer
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 16, 2000
      > I've heard it suggested that having an XP coach on a projct is a
      > good idea
      > especially if its an initial XP project. How does one get a
      > coach, and is
      > it a full time position? Can I get away with a part time coach?
      > Could it be
      > done over the phone or email?

      Phone and e-mail are great for troubleshooting... I use it all the time when
      I'm stuck and no one on the team seems to have the right advice.

      How much time you need a coach depends on how well the team is working
      together and how well it can keep itself out of the ditch.

      I'm a slightly more than half-time player/coach on one project I'm involved
      in. It works great. I can be a player/coach because most of the team buys
      into XP and isn't that prone to stray. Some people need more coaching than
      others.

      If you are in the greater RTP area of NC, we can provide XP teams and/or
      coaches. Outside, we can get you kick-started but, unlike many of my
      esteemed colleagues, we don't do a lot of traveling.

      If you are doing XP well without a coach, don't get one.

      If you are doing XP fairly well, get a visit from a coach.

      If you are not doing XP well, get a coach and then work to ween yourself
      from an outside coach and develop your own inside coach(es).

      Ken
      Ken Auer <kauer@...>
      The Extreme Programming Software Studio(TM)
      RoleModel Software <http://www.rolemodelsoft.com> (v) 919-557-6352
      5004 Rossmore Dr. (f) 919-552-8166
      Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526 (m) 919-630-5807
      "Christianity is not a plug-in, it's an operating system"
      Mark 12:28-31