Re: No version control

  • dion@multitask.com.au
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2001
      > Jireh Mak" <jirehm@...>

      > I've run into the excuses of "no version control in Notes" before, but
      it's
      > actually a symptom of sloppy thinking and succumbing to temptation.

      [snip]

      > Unlike VASmalltalk and VAJ, there are NO version control tools built in.
      > Worse even, you can't even partition Notes artifacts into modules easily
      > which makes team development(local and remote) difficult. I've heard
      > experienced Notes developers swear black and blue they can't user
      version
      > control because of the environment. If two teams make changes to two
      > branches from a root, the ONLY way to get them back together is to type
      all
      > the changes in again on one of the copies. :-(
      This is some of the worst justification I've read. There is at least one
      version control product for Notes, which is called Ciao, and is part of
      the TeamStudio set of tools for Notes. See http://www.teamstudio.com .

      As for they can't use version control because of the environment, that
      sounds like ignorance.

      And as for the "can't even partition Notes artifacts into modules easily",
      that sounds like poor design. We do Notes coding using LotusScript Classes
      and Script libraries. If your business logic is in a class, it's no
      different in partitioning to any other environment.

      I've been doing Notes development on and off for the last ten years
      almost, and the only issue I can see with XP and Notes is unit testing.
      However, the VBUnit stuff would be a good start. We've always done our own
      home grown stuff which is nowhere near as good/flexible as xUnit.
      --
      dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
      Work: http://www.multitask.com.au