Re: [XP] Re: Continous integration without version control

  • Russell Gold
    Message 1 of 48 , Aug 31, 2001
      At 3:53 PM -0400 8/31/01, Ron Jeffries wrote:
      >and then there's that pesky stuff about updating past versions. In
      >pure XP, I remain unconvinced that it will happen but I could be
      >wrong. People often think I am ...

      I am curious. Why would this be unnecessary in pure XP? Are you assuming that you only have one group of users? That you never need to do data migration? That acceptance tests are always able to be completed in a few hours?
      Russell Gold | "... society is tradition and order
      russgold@... | and reverence, not a series of cheap
      http://www.httpunit.org | - Poul Anderson, "Iron"
    • kevinxp@qualitycode.com
      Message 48 of 48 , Sep 7, 2001
        --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Matthew Davis" <azami@s...> wrote:
        > --- In extremeprogramming@y..., kentbeck@c... wrote:
        > > At LifeWare, we would have a new insurance product to implement. We
        > > would get a simple version of it working with an acceptance test.
        > > Then the actuary would give us a variation, we would make that work.
        > > When the actuary couldn't think of any more variations, we were
        > ready
        > > to go live, and we put the product into the list of possible
        > products
        > > in the GUI.
        > >
        > > The actuary seemed to think each new variation working was valuable.
        > > Was he wrong?
        >
        > I suppose it depends on how you define valuable. In the strictest
        > sense, _I_ would say he was wrong.

        Valuable to end users? No.
        Valuable to the XP customer so he can see progress, validate the rules so far,
        and think of new ones that may break the system? Absolutely.

        I do agree that changing the UI may make a new release unusable by legacy
        customers, thus requiring a branch. It depends on the customers, the product,
        the business model, the nature of the changes, and whether Ron sneezed the
        day before or not.

        Kevin