[XP] Re: Re: AW: A XP presentation

  • Ken Auer
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 16, 2000
      > From: Ron Jeffries [mailto:RonJeffries@...]
      > At 08:19 AM 3/16/00 -0800, you wrote:
      > >The book and the website do not agree totally on this point.
      > >I decided to drop feedback (as in the book) in favor
      > >of testing (as on the website). My feeling is
      > >that "communication" makes "feedback" mostly redundant, and
      > >I think Testing is a very fundamental issue in XP...
      >
      > The official word is feedback, as it is more generic and there is
      > lots more
      > feedback in XP than just the testing bit.

      To expand on what Ron said...

      Actually, there is a lot of Feedback/Communication discussion/understanding
      that seems to be missing from this list. I find that we talk about Testing
      and PairProgramming a lot, and recently ContinuousIntegration.

      I recently (like a few minutes ago) posted something about Tracking, which
      feeds into StandUpMeetings. Both of these contribute to Feedback on the
      same order of significance as Testing and PairProgramming in my book.

      One of my frustrations with the geek culture (of which I'm a Senior Geek) is
      the desire to remove the human element. Yes, we can get Feedback help by
      automating much of UnitTesting and Tracking with tools. However, we still
      need humans to write the tests, push the buttons, provide the data, make the
      estimates, analyze the data, etc. Cool technology exists to let you "pair
      without being there", and possibly for StandUpMeetings. But the key thing
      is that people are communicating and analyzing the feedback.

      Feedback is not always automated. People get feedback from other people all
      the time when they are in the same room through direct and indirect
      communication. E.g. "Ken's got that look again... what am I doing wrong",
      "Andy, you seem frustrated... is it with me? do I need to slow down?", "Did
      I just hear you say that we don't need that TestRedecorator? Let me explain
      to you why it's there", "We're stuck, can we get someone familiar with the
      Navigator over here for a minute or two".

      Then, of course, there is the walks to lunch when people communicate things
      that they wouldn't when you are remotely located. The high fives. I'm sure
      there are a bunch of others that I don't have time to write about now.

      To put a twist on what Kent said earlier:

      Don't think the power of human interaction can be replaced by the powerful
      technology you've created!

      Ken
      Ken Auer <kauer@...>
      The Extreme Programming Software Studio(TM)
      RoleModel Software <http://www.rolemodelsoft.com> (v) 919-557-6352
      5004 Rossmore Dr. (f) 919-552-8166
      Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526 (m) 919-630-5807
      "Christianity is not a plug-in, it's an operating system"
      Mark 12:28-31