[XP] Re: Re: IntegrateObnoxiously

  • Paul Hodgetts
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 16, 2000
      Martijn Meijering wrote:

      > I wouldn't want to have to commit my changes every 15 minutes, but I do
      > like commiting every 15 minutes or so and sometimes more often. Now that
      > I've got used to it I find it very pleasant. For the last couple of
      > months I've been programming solo, so I didn't have to worry about
      > integration problems. It feels good to commit regularly so you can go
      > back easily if you do something silly. With parallel versions you'd have
      > more integration problems but from the (little) experience I've had with
      > it, this should also work with about 10 people provided the tests run
      > fast enough.

      When you commit every 15 minutes, are you changing the actual
      release baseline? Or are you committing changes that are only
      for your local view?

      During development, our pairs will often check in intermediate
      changes that they are making for exactly the purpose you've
      mentioned - to be able to recover a previous snap shot if the
      current work doesn't pan out. But these changes are made to
      a local view (branch) that only the pair sees and controls.
      If they want to, they can merge in any new baseline changes to
      update their local view while they're working (a local
      integration, I suppose). These check ins could be at small
      intervals.

      When they are ready to integrate with the baseline, then they
      lock the baseline, integrate, unlock, and release. The updated
      baseline is now available (labeled, etc.) for other teams. The
      baseline integrations are what happens at 2-4 hour intervals.

      So, I don't think a longer release cycle is incompatible with
      CheckInEarlyAndOften, unless CIEAO requires the check ins to be
      made to the baseline.

      -Paul Hodgetts