Re: 40 hours vs. fun

  • Matthew Davis
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2001
      --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Ralph Johnson <johnson@c...> wrote:
      > Bryan Dollery said:
      >
      > >Nobody, ever, works because they enjoy it (except the mentally
      ill).

      > This is very sad. My experience is completely the opposite. It
      > is sad that you don't enjoy programming more.

      I suspect a lot of people here are missing Bryan Dollery's point.
      There's a difference between working _because_ you enjoy it, and
      enjoying your work. I love to program, but I work for the money. If
      I didn't need the money, I'd still program - but I wouldn't "work" in
      the senses of meeting arbitrary schedules, attendance, and performance
      standards.

      Come to think of it, most programmers I know enjoy programming... but
      all of them that don't need the money, don't have a job. They just
      program for fun.

      -Matthew
      azami@...