multiple items in [XP] Digest Number 1413

  • Dave Storrs
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2001
      > Message: 4
      > Good point. Perhaps an XP certification would be a good way to
      > screen _out_ XP developers. Anybody who got certified would be
      > clearly demonstrating that he didn't get the whole agile thing.
      > John Brewer

      Alternatively, you could take it as a sign that s/he assumes that
      most HR departments don't get the whole agile thing, so s/he was playing
      the system...which, to me, would be a sign that s/he is perceptive and
      realistic, and should definitely be considered.

      > Message: 6
      > From: "Michael Feathers" <mfeathers@...>
      > One of our clients looks at people skills above everything else when hiring.
      > You have to have a degree of technical aptitude, but that doesn't seem to be
      > the bulk of what they look for. Having seen just how jelled they've become
      > in their transition to XP, and how rapidly their transition progressed, I'd
      > have to chalk that up as a lesson.
      > You don't have to a wizard to be able to learn the practices, but it takes
      > some skill and inclination to really work well with other people.
      > Michael Feathers
      > www.objectmentor.com

      IME, the best teams consist of one wizard and a group of
      solid-but-not-guru level people. There is someone around who can solve
      the really tough problems, but there is less competition to be the top

      And I thoroughly agree that the people skills are vital.

      > Message: 11
      > Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:31:20 -0500
      > Subject: Re: XP in the Movies
      > John Brewer:
      > >What other movies offer object lessons in XP?
      > You mean besides the Princess Bride?

      Actually, I'm not sure that's a good example: Humperdink DID kill
      Wesley, after all. Granted, it would have been smarter to burn the body
      so that those pesky do-gooders couldn't come along with their miracle
      pill, but at least he tried.

      > Message: 16
      > Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:39:19 -0700
      > From: Phlip <pplumlee@...>
      > Subject: Re: XP in the Movies
      > On Wednesday 29 August 2001 13:15, you wrote:
      > > Ever notice that villians in James Bond movies never do the simplest
      > > thing that could possibly work, namely putting a bullet in Bond's
      > > head? It's always sharks or laser beams or live cremation with them.
      > How To Be An Evil Warlord

      Rats, you beat me to it!

      I think the canonical source is:

      > Message: 21
      > Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:59:00 -0600
      > From: "Christopher Hart" <hart@...>
      > Subject: Re: XP Certification
      > I have to agree with John "COMPETENCE over certification."
      > commitment. You would think professional references would be enough, but
      > that just isn't the case. For some reason a certification from a major
      > software vendor carries more weight than a successful project elsewhere. Go
      > figure.

      Part of the reason for this (in the US, anyway) is that a lot of
      companies (particularly the larger ones) have a policy saying that they
      will not tell another company anything about you other than:
      1) confirm that you worked for them between particular dates
      2) confirm, if asked, what your final salary was.

      The reason for this is that, unbelievable as it sounds, people
      have sued companies for "not giving them a positive enough review" and the
      companies just don't want the hassle.

      Dave Storrs