[XP] Re: Newsgroup/eGroups alternative

  • Morris, Chris
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2000
      Newsgroup/eGroups alternative

      A colleague of mine has recently done some work with a new groupware deal called Free Conversant. You can find it here: http://www.free-conversant.com.

      I asked him to write up a quick comparison of Conversant and eGroups and here was his response.

      Let's see. Conversant is actually a groupware platform, whereas eGroups simply provides a fixed service. Seth's planning to release the source in a few weeks. But for simplicity's sake, I'll just compare the current free offerings of both:

      Both support WWW and Email discussions. Conversant also supports NNTP (newsreaders).
      eGroups implements some nice extra features, including things like lightweight on-line databases (really more like spreadsheets) and surveys. Conversant doesn't have these yet, but has a phenomenally open plugin architecture. Once the source code is out there, I would expect things like this to become available fairly quickly. (I don't know whether Seth plans to install them on the free site, but it would seem like a good idea if the authors are agreeable.)

      Conversant allows you to actually manage a website by having particular URLs resolve to particular messages. For example the homepage for my site is message 1 in the database. Whenever I want to edit the homepage, I just edit message 1. This provides the ability to update a website without all that tedious mucking about with FTP and HTML files and the ilk.

      Hope that gives you some idea of where the two stand relative to each other.

      Chris Morris
      Snelling International
      800-411-6401 x1320
      chrism@...