Re: [XP] When to internationalize (was: YAGNI & Architecture)

  • Matthew Davis
    Message 1 of 125 , Aug 30, 2001
      --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Buddha Buck <bmbuck@1...> wrote:
      > This strikes me --right now, with the data we have now-- to be DUF.

      In a way, although since it's not something we're going to implement I
      think it's more of a thought experiment than actual speculation.

      The contents of this entire thread are very context-dependent... as
      has been pointed out elsewhere, there's a big distinction between
      "sort Dutch names differently" and "sort names differently for Dutch
      users".

      > Any of us can probably think of a dozen ways to solve the Dutch
      > sorting problem, each of which would be approriate depending on how
      we
      > got there.

      Yep.

      > The promise I see XP making is that when we get there, the code will
      > be well-factored, simple to understand, easy to modify, and
      copiously
      > tested. At that point, adding Dutch name sorting will simply be a
      > matter of figuring out the best way (from there) to do it, and
      adding
      > it.

      I agree completely. The thought experiment (or speculation) here is
      meant to show how this could possibly work, absent the DUF.

      -Matthew
      azami@...
    • Matthew Davis
      Message 125 of 125 , Aug 30, 2001