Continous integration without version control

  • Mike Bowler
    Message 1 of 45 , Aug 30 10:58 AM
      One of my clients is looking at XP and is wondering how/if it will apply
      to host development.

      They have a situation where there is no version control. (I understand
      that there are version control packages for the host but my client
      hasn't purchased any). They've adapted their processes around this
      fact.

      Only one developer will work on a given function at any given time. The
      developer will make a copy of the original sources and will modify this
      copy. When the function is complete, the developer will move this code
      into the test region on the host for testing and will finally move this
      source into production.

      There is some versioning of releases in the form of backup but no
      versioning during development.

      Continuous integration doesn't mean much in an environment like this as
      there is nothing to integrate with.

      I'm still trying to get my mind around this environment and thought I'd
      bounce it off the group. Has anyone tried XP without version control?
      Or tried XP for host development?

      --
      Mike Bowler
      Principal, Gargoyle Software Inc.
      Message 45 of 45 , Sep 3, 2001
        > With the greatest respect, I really tire of hearing how hard it is
        > to do the right things. [...] Kids, software doesn't have to be
        > this f***ed up. Let's simplify our lives: let's start doing it
        > right.

        Synchronicity brings forth this lovely quote from my current book -
        one on cosmology, but the quote is attributed to a political theorist
        named Roberto Unger whom I'll want to read : "the greatest obstacle
        to transforming the world is that we lack the clarity and imagination
        to conceive that it could be different".

        -[Morendil]-
        Split-p soup ?