XP questions

  • neptuneblu2002@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 28, 2001
      I have been doing XP since nearly Immersion 1. I am struggling with
      a few minor aspects of the practice.

      1) "developers are free to quit when they are tired". While I agree
      with this statement in principle it has no boundaries to it. It used
      to be "40 hour work week". With the latest version, I feel myself
      tempted to sneek in late some night and tac on the phrase, "but you
      must at least work your 40 hours this week." I am seeing less
      commitment out of my co-workers. No one has worked overtime for
      nearly a year... so are we soft now? Not too long ago I was working
      at least one weekend a month. Any time you ask developers to work a
      weekend, they alway throw this in your face. Is this an unorganized
      unionizing effort? Any arguments to the contrary?

      2) "XP toys" Nice idea - easily and often abused. Sorry, I've never
      seen this work in a company. They are a distraction that helps you
      when you need it, but the disipline needed to make this work is
      elusive and not well sought out. When the toys are used, someone is
      always interrupted. Anything called "XP toy edicate"? When I say
      could you take that somewhere else. I get treated like I'm the one
      being difficult. Any comments?

      Thanks.
    • Robert Watkins
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 2, 2001
        Bob Whiteside wrote:
        > > I have some co-workers who frequently decide they will work
        > > from home instead of come into the office. I tell myself
        > > that the manager has to decide whether they are getting their
        > > work done.
        >
        > A co-worker used to have a sign on his door that read something like:
        >
        > "When I telecommute, do I have to work 8 hours? ... or only
        > the 2 hours of
        > useful work I'd get done if I came to the office?"

        It's a Dilbert quote:

        Dil (sitting in a dressing gown): Dogbert, when I telecommute, do I owe work
        a full 8 hours? Or do I only owe them the 2 hours of useful work I would
        have done in the office?

        Dog: Actually, when you consider the benefits to the planet of not driving
        in, you only owe them one hour.

        Dil: And this meeting counts.

        Of course, with XP, it's a lot harder to get that work done; no production
        code without a pair, remember? You could probably spend the day enhancing
        the test suites, though.

        Robert.

        --
        "Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side,
        and it holds the universe together"