RE: [XP] The ant algorithm

  • Karl Scotland
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
      > > >Hi,
      > > >
      > > >I wasn't watching when Kent showed the ant algorithm for the
      > > pattern that he
      > > >was running during his talk at XP universe. Does somebody
      > > remember it?
      > >
      > > >From memory, so YMMV:
      > >
      > > 1. If the pixel is white, change it to black and turn left
      > > 2. If the pixel is black, change it to white and turn right
      > > 3. Advance one step
      > > 4. Repeat
      > >
      > > /\ndy
      >
      > Yup this is it, a bunch of ThoughtWorkers and ObjectMentors
      > whipped out our laptops in a airport bar and (pair) programmed
      > this up. Two versions in Java one in C++.

      I don't suppose you could upload these to the files section?

      Karl.

      --
      Karl Scotland
      Development Team Leader

      BBC, unless specifically stated.
    • Ivan Tomek
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
        I wonder whther Ken would be willing to share his Smalltalk implementation?

        Ivan

        > > >I wasn't watching when Kent showed the ant algorithm for the
        > > pattern that he
        > > >was running during his talk at XP universe. Does somebody
        > > remember it?
        > >
        > > >From memory, so YMMV:
        > >
        > > 1. If the pixel is white, change it to black and turn left
        > > 2. If the pixel is black, change it to white and turn right
        > > 3. Advance one step
        > > 4. Repeat
        > >
        > > /\ndy
        >
        > Yup this is it, a bunch of ThoughtWorkers and ObjectMentors
        > whipped out our laptops in a airport bar and (pair) programmed
        > this up. Two versions in Java one in C++.

        I don't suppose you could upload these to the files section?

        Karl.

        --
        Karl Scotland
        Development Team Leader
        BBC New Media, Interactive TV
        6th Floor, NE Wing Bush House, Strand, WC2B 4PH
        t: 020 7557 1260
        f: 020 7557 3000
        e: karl.scotland@...

        BBC, unless specifically stated.

        Don't miss XP UNIVERSE, the first US conference on XP and Agile Methods.
        see www.xpuniverse.com for details and registration.

      • emeade@geekfarm.org
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
          --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Karl Scotland <karl.scotland@b...>
          wrote:

          > > > pattern that he
          > > > remember it?

          > > > 1. If the pixel is white, change it to black and turn left
          > > > 2. If the pixel is black, change it to white and turn right
          > > > 3. Advance one step
          > > > 4. Repeat
          > > >
          > > > /\ndy
          > >
          > > Yup this is it, a bunch of ThoughtWorkers and ObjectMentors
          > > whipped out our laptops in a airport bar and (pair) programmed
          > > this up. Two versions in Java one in C++.
          > >

          > I don't suppose you could upload these to the files section?
          >
          > Karl.

          Sorry I don't have the code, I just did some consultation on getting
          the Java UI stuff to work. The others folks are on this list,
          perhaps one of them will comply with your request.

          --
          Erik Meade emeade@...
          Senior Consultant Object Mentor, Inc.
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
            Eric Meade:
            >Sorry I don't have the code, I just did some consultation on getting
            >the Java UI stuff to work. The others folks are on this list,
            >perhaps one of them will comply with your request.

            I have the C++ version. If I get a chance I will upload it.
          • grenning@objectmentor.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
              I just uploaded the ant program done by Bob Martin and I in the
              Raleigh Airport bar while waiting for our plane.

              The GUI is slow and flickers, but the ant is doing his thing. You
              have to let it run for a few minutes until something interesting
              happens.

              James

              James W Grenning (847) 573-1565 x12
              Object Mentor, Inc. (847) 438-9942 Home office/cell
              565 Lakeview Parkway grenning@...
              Vernon Hills, IL 60061
              www.objectmentor.com www.junit.org www.pairprogramming.com