Re: [XP] Remote Customer

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
      Responding to shanly@... (10:59 PM 8/1/2001 +0000):
      >I would be interested in hearing from anybody who has tried to run an
      >XP style development project with a remote customer. There doesn't
      >seem to be much research on the topic. Some research on distributed
      >development but they seem to shy away from directly facing up to the
      >remote customer issues. I would be particularly interested in:
      >
      >1. Compensating practices people have used to overcome the lack of an
      >on-site customer.

      Telephone, email, frequent meetings, written documents, surrogate customer.

      Lots of really good acceptance tests.

      >2. People's general opinion on running XP without an on-site
      >customer. I know that product companies regularly deal with this
      >problem, but I am more interested in the out-sourcing type of model.

      Product manager can be on-site customer. XP out-sourcing shops often get a
      customer to be on site. When they can't, see item 1.

      Relatedly, I was told by some folks yesterday that more and more of the
      out-sourcing shops in India are beginning to put one representative on the
      customer site to provide liaison. Think of it as "on-site programmer".

      >3. Is XP more sensitive to the remote customer problem that other
      >methods? It would seem to me that it is with its dependence on
      >feedback to feed the hungry monster that is an XP project in full
      >flight. Is this a showstopper?

      No. XP is much more responsive because of the higher feedback. Remove
      enough customer-programmer feedback and you get an ordinary slowed-down
      project with high reliability, flexible programmers, and other good things
      that can't be put to full use.

      >My general feeling is that XP needs the on-site customer to really
      >hum, but in the absence of an on-site customer all of the other
      >practices still stand on their own merits and still support each
      >other. If the on-site customer can be compensated for you end up in a
      >situation that while not ideal is probably better than most other
      >solutions.

      Yes, that's what I think also.

      The practices are not the knowing. They are a path to the knowing.
    • srichner@metlife.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
        --- In extremeprogramming@y..., shanly@e... wrote:
        > I would be interested in hearing from anybody who has tried to run
        an
        > XP style development project with a remote customer. There doesn't
        > seem to be much research on the topic. Some research on distributed
        > development but they seem to shy away from directly facing up to the
        > remote customer issues. I would be particularly interested in:
        >
        > 1. Compensating practices people have used to overcome the lack of
        an
        > on-site customer.

        I've used Lotus Notes Sametime to show off-site customers my screen
        changes. It has a really neat feature that allows them to run your
        application from their PC. Since you're both seeing the same view,
        it's almost like they are sitting right next to you. Microsoft's
        Netmeeting is similar option our office has used (and it's free!).

        Sue