Re: [XP] XPU Papers

  • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
      Shankar:
      >In this situation, is Pair Programming suggested with
      >developers from the 2 competitors? Has it been tried any where?

      I recently worked on a project where my company was working on a client
      project using XP. The project is still rolling, while we have left. There
      were individuals from two other firms working with us, and those two are
      still there. At one point we had as many as 5 different firms/ind.
      consultants working on the project at the same time.

      There are issues, mostly political, as different consultants, and
      development groups have different philosophies about software development.
      A combination of compromise, and natural selection created (finally) a
      productive working environment.

      In general, if you are going to have many viewpoints that are peers, than
      someone from the client has to have the authority to make the a definitive
      call on what will and will not be done. That is true whether the peers are
      consultants, vendors, or even just people from different parts of the same
      company.

      But yes it will work, and often works very well as these different
      companies and groups often have very different skill sets and areas of
      expertise. Pairing can help ensure that knowledge gets applied where it is
      needed, when it is needed.

      With a heterogeneous group, communication becomes even more important.

      Best,
      Bill