Re: [XP] Quality

  • ericheikkila@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 54 , Aug 1, 2001
      Agreed....look at the tests....if they don't exist, write them.

      -Eric

      --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Janet Graham <Janet.Graham@n...>
      wrote:

      > Scott wrote:
      >
      > > Unit tests and acceptance tests are the only
      > > way this can be
      > > done as safely and quickly as possible. Such tests, when
      > > kept up to date,
      > > are far more valuable to developers than detailed
      > > documentation, and they're
      > > much more likely to be up to date too.
      >
      > Agreed, and if the unit tests and acceptance tests don't exist then
      the team who is inheriting the code should write them, it's the best
      way to get to know the code and fix a few bugs at the same time. "The
      code is the documentation" (I stole this).

      > Paulo, I would start with the test framework, have you got unit
      tests and acceptance tests to work with? I understand your reluctance
      for the team to just jump in and start working with the code but it
      really is the best way and when questions arise along the way they
      can refer back to the people who wrote the code. Some aspects of XP
      are a leap of faith until you have tried them. All I can say is that
      I would start with code quality & testing because it's familiar
      territory for all programmers whether you do XP or not.

      > - Janet
    • Matthew Davis
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 24 9:17 AM
        --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@a...> wrote:
        > > Screw quality.
        >
        > What form of quality were you thinking of?

        Tolerances on thread size and length, I'd guess.

        -M5w