XPU Papers

  • shankar.ganesh@appl.ge.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2001
      While reading the XPU Papers, I thought of putting forth a couple of
      questions, based on the Paper "Lessons Learned from an Outsourced XP
      Project" (http://www.xpuniverse.com/XPU03.pdf). Please let us know
      your comments...

      #1. The paper talks about "Pairing with Client Developers". But in
      many situations, we might even need to handover the system to a
      competitor's team and not just client IT team. Or it could even be
      like one company provides IT support to the entire client
      organization while a competitor gets to develop a new system (say due
      to the difference in contract rates) and then handover to the support
      team. In this situation, is Pair Programming suggested with
      developers from the 2 competitors? Has it been tried any where?

      #2. Acceptance Testing -- The paper suggests having "the same person
      to help create and to OK acceptance tests" to avoid unnecessary
      delays. Is this required? What does the experience of this group
      suggest?

      T(S)hanks.
    • Ron Jeffries (om)
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
        Responding to shankar.ganesh@... (12:51 AM 8/1/2001 +0000):
        >While reading the XPU Papers, I thought of putting forth a couple of
        >questions, based on the Paper "Lessons Learned from an Outsourced XP
        >Project" (http://www.xpuniverse.com/XPU03.pdf). Please let us know
        >your comments...
        >
        >#1. The paper talks about "Pairing with Client Developers". But in
        >many situations, we might even need to handover the system to a
        >competitor's team and not just client IT team. Or it could even be
        >like one company provides IT support to the entire client
        >organization while a competitor gets to develop a new system (say due
        >to the difference in contract rates) and then handover to the support
        >team. In this situation, is Pair Programming suggested with
        >developers from the 2 competitors? Has it been tried any where?

        Why might it be any different from any other pair programming?

        The practices are not the knowing. They are a path to the knowing.
      • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
          Shankar:
          >In this situation, is Pair Programming suggested with
          >developers from the 2 competitors? Has it been tried any where?

          I recently worked on a project where my company was working on a client
          project using XP. The project is still rolling, while we have left. There
          were individuals from two other firms working with us, and those two are
          still there. At one point we had as many as 5 different firms/ind.
          consultants working on the project at the same time.

          There are issues, mostly political, as different consultants, and
          development groups have different philosophies about software development.
          A combination of compromise, and natural selection created (finally) a
          productive working environment.

          In general, if you are going to have many viewpoints that are peers, than
          someone from the client has to have the authority to make the a definitive
          call on what will and will not be done. That is true whether the peers are
          consultants, vendors, or even just people from different parts of the same
          company.

          But yes it will work, and often works very well as these different
          companies and groups often have very different skill sets and areas of
          expertise. Pairing can help ensure that knowledge gets applied where it is
          needed, when it is needed.

          With a heterogeneous group, communication becomes even more important.

          Best,
          Bill