Re[2]: [XP] Continuous Integration for C++ on Windows

  • Kerim Borchaev
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2001
      wtc> If I ever get done with the review of it, I have an article that is
      wtc> supposed to join Martin's CI article about how we did a similar thing with
      wtc> Ant for a recent VC++ project here at TW.

      And I know there is a CI thing called Cruise Control that works upon
      Ant.

      Best regards,
      Kerim mailto:warkid@...
    • fsk@maerskdata.dk
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2001
        Hi,

        > The unit test application is based on the CppUnit framework, but we
        modified
        > the output to conform with the DevStudio convention for displaying
        errors.
        > This makes it possible to hit F4 to go to source code for the failing
        test.
        Do you use OutputDebugString or ?
        -Would you mind sharing your changes ?
        I don't actually mind whether or not there is a GUI front end to the tests,
        but hitting F4 to go to the source line for an failing test would be really
        beneficial.

        Best regards,
        Fedder
      • Nick Southwell
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2001
          Sure Fedder,

          Here's the new code:

          stream << (e ? e->fileName () : "")
          << "(" << (e ? estring (e->lineNumber ()) : "") << ")"
          << " : error - Test assertion failed: "
          << "\"" << failure->thrownException ()->what () << "\""
          << endl;

          Replace the corresponding code in TextTestResult::PrintFailures. Make a
          similar change in TextTestResult::PrintErrors (you'll want a different
          message).

          It's important to have the string "error" somewhere in the output in order
          to get DevStudio to recognize the output as an error.

          When DevStudio runs the unit test command line app as a post build step, all
          the output is captured by the Build pane, so the test errors look like build
          errors.

          Nick

        • Robert Sartin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2001
            --- fsk@... wrote:
            > Do you use OutputDebugString or ?
            > -Would you mind sharing your changes ?
            > I don't actually mind whether or not there is a GUI front end to the
            > tests,
            > but hitting F4 to go to the source line for an failing test would be
            > really
            > beneficial.

            Trivial change, made by an author unaware of OutputDebugString follows.
            The strange comment is a copy of an error message generated to reverse
            engineer the message format. This is all against the textui
            TextTestResult.cpp from code about 9 months old. Haven't been using C++
            since then. Please pardon the OAOO violation. I was shooting for
            minimal change to the code and thought Extract Method would introduce
            too much delta for a later merge. I was young and didn't know any
            better.

            Regards,

            Rob

            In printErrors:
            #if 0
            stream << i
            << ") "
            << "line: " << (e ? estring (e->lineNumber ()) : "")
            << " "
            << (e ? e->fileName () : "") << " "
            << "\"" << failure->thrownException ()->what () <<
            "\""
            << endl;
            #else
            // MS error format:
            D:\sartin\projects\prototype-core\tests\EventTest.cpp(35) : error
            C2065: 'falsxe' : undeclared identifier
            stream << (e ? e->fileName () : "")
            << "(" << (e ? estring (e->lineNumber ()) : "") << ") :
            error Z0000:"
            << "'" << failure->thrownException ()->what () << "'"
            << endl;
            #endif

            In printFailures:

            #if 0
            stream << i
            << ") "
            << "line: " << (e ? estring (e->lineNumber ()) : "")
            << " "
            << (e ? e->fileName () : "") << " "
            << "\"" << failure->thrownException ()->what () <<
            "\""
            << endl;
            #else
            // MS error format:
            D:\sartin\projects\prototype-core\tests\EventTest.cpp(35) : error
            C2065: 'falsxe' : undeclared identifier
            stream << (e ? e->fileName () : "")
            << "(" << (e ? estring (e->lineNumber ()) : "") << ") :
            error Z0000 (" << i << "):"
            << "'" << failure->thrownException ()->what () << "'"
            << endl;
            #endif

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • Scott McCaskill
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 31, 2001
              You don't have to use ODS, stdout and stderr automatically go to the output
              window if you run the executable via a post build step (or via F5 or
              ctrl+F5).

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 31, 2001
                It's very simple, just make your unit test errors look like compile errors.
                I changed our UTs to do that in about 2 minutes and it works like a charm.

                example:
                D:\some_long_path\foo.cpp(473) : assertion failed etc. etc.

                The part that seems to matter is everything up to and including the colon
                (after the line number). Granted, you will need the file name and line
                number, but if you're using an assert-like macro you probably already have
                these.

              • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2001
                  Kerim:
                  >And I know there is a CI thing called Cruise Control that works upon
                  >Ant.

                  Yup, and the paper covers how we used Cruise Control too.
                • warkid@storm.ru
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 1, 2001
                    --- In extremeprogramming@y..., wecaputo@t... wrote:

                    > Kerim:
                    > >And I know there is a CI thing called Cruise Control that works
                    upon
                    > >Ant.
                    >
                    > Yup, and the paper covers how we used Cruise Control too.

                    `Curiouser and curiouser!'