Re: [XP] two keyboards

  • David Stagner
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2001
      Ivan Tomek wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I would like to use IBM ThinkPad laptops in an XP course with an extra
      > keyboard attached for the second student in the pair. Has anybody done that?
      > And if so, do you have any advice?
      >
      > Thanks.

      Have them edit in vi? Of course, two keyboards trying to operate vi at
      the same time would be an utter disaster, but it'd be funny as all get
      out to the casual observer.

      Shouldn't they be passing the keyboard back and forth, rather than both
      trying to type at once?
      --

      David Stagner

      National Marrow Donor Program
      3001 Broadway Street NE
      Broadway Ridge Suite 500
      Minneapolis, MN 55413

      Email: dstagner@...
    • Ivan Tomek
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2001
        Oops - the question was meant to be technical - how do you connect an extra
        keyboard to an IBM ThinkPad.

        Ivan

        > I would like to use IBM ThinkPad laptops in an XP course with an extra
        > keyboard attached for the second student in the pair. Has anybody done
        that?
        > And if so, do you have any advice?
        >
        > Thanks.

        Have them edit in vi? Of course, two keyboards trying to operate vi at
        the same time would be an utter disaster, but it'd be funny as all get
        out to the casual observer.

        Shouldn't they be passing the keyboard back and forth, rather than both
        trying to type at once?
        --

        David Stagner

        National Marrow Donor Program
        3001 Broadway Street NE
        Broadway Ridge Suite 500
        Minneapolis, MN 55413

        Email: dstagner@...

        Don't miss XP UNIVERSE, the first US conference on XP and Agile Methods.
        see www.xpuniverse.com for details and registration.

      • Glew, Andy
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2001
          > > I would like to use IBM ThinkPad laptops in an XP course with an extra
          > > keyboard attached for the second student in the pair. Has anybody done
          that?

          I am typing this at an IBM Thinkpad A21P,
          with a "Y-key key" dual keyboard adapter
          plugged into the keyboard port of the port
          replicator.

          I currently have only a single external keyboard,
          a DSi Modular Pro (configured to move the pointer
          keys to the left hand side, to reduce the amount of
          typing my painful right hand must do). I can use
          both this keyboard and the laptop keyboard
          interchangeably.

          In the past I have had a second external keyboard,
          typically a Dvorak board or one of the radically sculpted
          keyboards. Again, all three keyboards can be used
          interchangeably.

          As someone has already noticed, you need to use
          only one keyboard at a time. But, multiple keyboards
          and voice is faster than passing a physical keyboard around.
        • fsk@maerskdata.dk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 2001
            The cordless mice and keyboards could be worth a try as well...
            And add to that a 21" hi-rez monitor, because you can't help but looking at
            it from a longer distance when pairing.
            That's, at least what I'll initially opt for when setting up our first
            dedicated pair-programming desk.

            That's my two cents.
            -Fedder
          • troywf@amexol.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 31, 2001
              This brings up an interesting (to me) topic. We use two keyboards
              and two mice per workstation for our XP development. It's really
              quite nice, because you don't have to slide the keyboard and mouse
              back and forth, and people can customize the keyboards independently
              (raise the little feet, close up the split, whatever). We've been
              very happy with this approach. Anyone else tried it?

              Now we are starting to experiment with two monitors as well (still
              one cpu, of course). We have both monitors showing exactly the same
              screen. This allows you to look straight ahead without craning your
              neck (better ergonomics). The jury is still out, but so far most
              people seem to like this too.

              Sorry if this is a retread - I haven't been around the egroup for a
              while.

              Troy Frever
              QuickSilver Technology

              --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Ivan Tomek <ivan.tomek@a...> wrote:
              > Oops - the question was meant to be technical - how do you connect
              an extra
              > keyboard to an IBM ThinkPad.
              >
              > Ivan

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Ivan Tomek
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 31, 2001
                Thanks Andy.

                Ivan

              • ericheikkila@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2001
                  One (1) keyboard, one (1) mouse, two (2) people.

                  Speed is not an issue. It's not how fast you can switch off driving,
                  it's that you actually do so. I would however recommend a larger
                  external monitor (21" would be nice).

                  Two keyboards . . . (chuckle) . . . don't do it! ;)

                  -Eric

                  --- In extremeprogramming@y..., fsk@m... wrote:

                  > The cordless mice and keyboards could be worth a try as well...
                  > And add to that a 21" hi-rez monitor, because you can't help but
                  looking at
                  > it from a longer distance when pairing.
                  > That's, at least what I'll initially opt for when setting up our
                  first
                  > dedicated pair-programming desk.
                  >
                  > That's my two cents.
                  > -Fedder
                • Ivan Tomek
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
                    Thanks to all who have contributed a suggestion.

                    Ivan