Re: [XP] Where to start (was Re: Removing dead code)

  • Michael Larionov
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30 1:47 PM
      We originally had two development team which started implementing XP.
      The other one started with pair-programming and unit tests, but did not
      have any success in convincing developers, so the efforts were abandoned.

      We started with two sets of practices:
      1. With the customer: user stories, planning game.
      2. With developers: unit tests, stand-up meetings and refactoring.

      Our biggest problem was poor code quality, which we tried to
      address with these practices. In the second iteration we had to venture
      into a dangerous task of refactoring legacy system, there unit tests
      and refactoring skills were very important!

      We did not introduce pair-programming until much later,
      so originally we had a weird kind of pair-programming:
      I personally did not sign up for any tasks, but paired up with everyone,
      spending 2-4 hours with every developer. Also test-first was originally in a
      very weird form: I would sometimes write a bunch of tests and
      have someone write the code to satisfy them. All these helped up to
      transition to pair-programming and test-first programming later.

      Then two groups merged, people were laid off, new people came
      and I had to adjust the process to get the best results with the people
      we had. We ended up not pair programming and the only one who is
      writing code test-first is myself. But we stick to writing a lot of unit
      tests
      as soon as the code gets written. We ended up having sit-down meetings,
      because that's what everyone liked. Meetings became more lengthy,
      but communication improved significantly. We still have 2-week iterations,
      and this helped up keep the process very lightweight. And so on...

      The point is that since the methodology is people-oriented, you need
      to choose practices which will give the best results with the people you
      work with.
      We still officially call our process XP, but I realize that it is just 50%
      of XP
      with the other 50% taken from other Agile methodologies.

      Does it give you a better idea? What All think of this?

      Michael.