Re: Introducing XP, packaged software environment

  • Graham Wright
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2001
      We have been developing a shrinkwrap product using XP since February.
      Much of the code base was developed before the company adopted XP.
      The product is for Windows and is written in C++ with a heavy
      reliance on COM.

      Our Product Management team are our customers and are always "on-
      site". We have a policy that any developer can interrupt any meeting
      a member of the Product Management team is in to get an answer to a
      customer query.

      I don't think having Product Management as the customers is
      fundamentally any different from having any other on-site customer.

      As a result of adopting XP our IDE and source control systems did not
      change but the testing and release processes changed radically;
      We introduced a fully automated build that runs regularly twice a day
      and we retrofitted unit tests to key parts of the legacy code and
      added to these as the initial activity of any refactoring.

      Testing has been the key.
      We have being using C++ Unit.
      Obviously testing legacy C++, GUI and COM code is never going to be
      as straightforward as testing Smalltalk or Java but it can be done.
      The main enabling step has been to separate the implementation
      classes from the GUI or COM interface classes and then test the
      implementation classes independent of these wrappers.