[extremeprogramming] Re:

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2000
      At 05:22 PM 1/10/2000 -0800, Phlip wrote:

      >And DbC falls squarely under YouAreGonnaNeedIt in a full-on XP effort,

      XP is a minimal methodology, defined by Kent Beck, with help from the
      universe. It includes 12 practices, namely Planning Game, Small releases,
      Metaphor, Simple design, Testing, Refactoring, Pair programming, Collective
      ownership, Continuous integration, 40-hour week, On-site customer, and
      Coding standards.

      A team could choose Design by Contract as a coding standard or as one of
      their design techniques. Design by Contract is not inconsistent with XP,
      but it is not one of the 12 practices, nor is it one of the detailed
      techniques we offer as ways one might want to do XP. At this time, I don't
      expect it to be added.

      Don't get me wrong. DbC is good. It's powerful, useful, and kind of fun.
      It's just not one of the few practices chosen to be part of XP. It's OK to
      add it, but for most projects we don't consider it necessary.

      Ron Jeffries
      Extreme Programming Training and Consultation
      ronjeffries@...
      web pages: http://www.XProgramming.com, http://www.armaties.com
      pgp key: http://www.armaties.com/pgpkey.htm