RE: Units of time for estimates

  • C. Keith Ray
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2001
      > Maybe all our trouble started here. She wanted to know exactly why we were
      > not faster. Part of it was significant changes in some of the stories
      > (zeroing out some of the effort spent), but the real time consumers were non
      > project related tasks. Old systems needed attention and servers were
      > breaking down. And probably the hours spent on these tasks were not
      > compatible with the point system. I don't know.

      My team uses a wiki to display to the rest of our company the tasks we are
      doing this week. Any bug fixes that are demanded but were not originally
      scheduled would show up on the this-week's-tasks wiki page. Estimated time
      (in days) and actual time (when a task is done) are listed with each task.

      Since we have about six projects to be done by three people -- most of the
      projects are inactive except for occasional bug fixes, which often have
      'must be done immediately' priority -- it seems to be very important to let
      all the people who demand our time be aware of the other demands on our
      time.

      Sometimes we get them into a meeting or virtual meeting to determine the
      relative priorities of projects, so one or two project can be completely
      ignored in favor or others for a few weeks at a time.

      When you have multiple projects, perhaps estimating stories and tasks in
      [fractions of] days is better than using points. It is also difficult to
      have fixed-length iterations when you have multiple projects -- for some
      purposes, we have one-week iterations, but inactive/bug-fix projects get
      built and deployed whenever a bug is fixed.

      It might even be worth putting meetings (and their actual times) into the
      task list, when the whole team has to attend a meeting of one hour or more.

      ----

      C. Keith Ray
      <http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/resume.html>