Re: [XP] Tools Question

  • Ryan Townshend
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 28, 2001
      I use :

      Jext
      JDK 1.3
      Ant
      JUnit

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Monica Pelayo" <pelayo@...>
      To: <extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 7:05 AM
      Subject: [XP] Tools Question

      see www.xpuniverse.com for details and registration.

    • steve@cartsweb.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
        I am working on an interesting project that will require us to
        perform XP with some restrictions on tools. Here is a list of tools
        we will be using. For the Non friendly XP tools we have developed
        work arounds using other tools oin the interim.

        XP Friendly
        1. JBuilder/Visual Slick Edit - good visual and intuitive. good
        for pairing
        2. Ant
        3. JUnit
        4. HTTPUnit
        5. CVS - Source code mgmt tool (really somewhere in the middle)
        6. VBSF - relational mappiing tool

        Not XP Friendly
        1. Sablime - Source code mgmt tool
        2. Vi

        -Steve

        --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Ryan Townshend" <solid_logic@h...>

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
          I can't help wondering why two code management tools. A legacy situation of
          some kind?

          Responding to steve@... (08:24 PM 7/2/2001 +0000):
          >I am working on an interesting project that will require us to
          >perform XP with some restrictions on tools. Here is a list of tools
          >we will be using. For the Non friendly XP tools we have developed
          >work arounds using other tools oin the interim.
          >
          >XP Friendly
          >1. JBuilder/Visual Slick Edit - good visual and intuitive. good
          > for pairing
          >2. Ant
          >3. JUnit
          >4. HTTPUnit
          >5. CVS - Source code mgmt tool (really somewhere in the middle)
          >6. VBSF - relational mappiing tool
          >
          >Not XP Friendly
          >1. Sablime - Source code mgmt tool
          >2. Vi
          >
          >-Steve
          >
          >--- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Ryan Townshend" <solid_logic@h...>
          >wrote:
          > > I use :
          > >
          > > Jext
          > > JDK 1.3
          > > Ant
          > > JUnit

          Ronald E Jeffries
          http://www.XProgramming.com
          http://www.objectmentor.com
        • Liu, Kenneth Albert (Kenneth)** CTR **
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 5, 2001
            How awful. Must be an AT&T or Lucent project. :)

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 5, 2001
              We're using these as our main tools:

              Visual SlickEdit
              Ant
              JUnit
              J2EEUnit (aka Cactus)
              Visual SourceSafe
              XML Spy
              Home grown auto-build/integration system based around perl and Ant
              Quake (wait...that's not a tool)

              Also these, but to a lesser extent:
              JTest
              JProbe
              BugSeeker 2 (debugger)
              Whiteboard Photo (capture those whiteboards)
              T.O.A.D. (Oracle admin tool)

              Tools I wish we were using:
              CruiseControl
              Some better source control system

            • Niclas Olofsson
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 7, 2001
                "Liu, Kenneth Albert (Kenneth)** CTR **" wrote:
                > Visual SourceSafe
                > Home grown auto-build/integration system based around perl and Ant
                > Quake (wait...that's not a tool)

                Nope, that's not a real tool. We use CounterStrike (HalfLife ext), but
                currently trying hard to migrate to Operation Flashpoint.

                > Tools I wish we were using:
                > CruiseControl

                Why don't you use CruiseControl (it has VSS support)? Are you missing
                any features?! Setting up CCtrl won't take you very long.

                Cheers,
                /Niclas
                --
                Niclas Olofsson - http://www.ismobile.com
                Product Development, isMobile, Aurorum 2, S-977 75 LuleƄ, Sweden
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 9, 2001
                  > > Quake (wait...that's not a tool)
                  >
                  > Nope, that's not a real tool. We use CounterStrike (HalfLife ext), but
                  > currently trying hard to migrate to Operation Flashpoint.
                  Heh heh.

                  > > Tools I wish we were using:
                  > > CruiseControl
                  >
                  > Why don't you use CruiseControl (it has VSS support)? Are you missing
                  > any features?! Setting up CCtrl won't take you very long.
                  No technical reason really, just not enough time. What we have now works
                  pretty well.