Re: [XP] PairDraw: an "XP remote" simulation

  • John Carter
    Message 1 of 52 , Jul 1, 2001
      On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Joshua Kerievsky wrote:

      > --- Start of Debrief ---
      >
      > I'll taylor this debrief to the audience (people on this list who, presumably,
      > have experience doing PP and XP in the real world).
      >
      > Opening Question: What evolved during the simulation that you didn't expect?
      > How did you feel about it? What did you do about it?

      Hmm. I guess if I had played this sim with colleagues I knew, I
      would have more expectations. Instead I had the expectation that on the
      'net anything can happen.

      In hindsight the behaviour of the sim partners were very similar. (I even
      toyed, independently, with clipping and pasting on of Ron Jefferies ears,
      as a 3rd party library routine. Alas, I couldn't find a good enough pic
      of them.)

      We may have never met, we may be on random points of this mud-ball, but
      there was very little divergence in behaviour patterns. Perhaps that was
      because we self-selected to read this list and again self-selected to play
      the sim. I think it is rather that the global culture is remarkably "flat"
      these days.

      Probably the most interesting point is that nobody had any common vision
      of what sort of face. That common vision "jelled" out of...
      Initial conditions (my first line).
      A cultural common sense of how to render faces.

      I suspect when dealing in realms where there is no cultural common values,
      such "jelling" happens a _lot_ more slowly. (Probably relates to the
      "system metaphor" idea.)

      John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
      Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
      New Zealand
    • Dinwiddie, George
      Message 52 of 52 , Jul 2, 2001
        > I'll taylor this debrief to the audience (people on this list who,
        presumably,
        > have experience doing PP and XP in the real world).

        Well, I don't have experience doing PP and XP in the real world, but I'd
        like to.

        > Opening Question: What evolved during the simulation that you didn't
        expect?

        The inclusion of a photo was a surprise to me; I hadn't thought of it.

        > How did you feel about it?

        I thought it was pretty cool. And it really speeded things up. The drawing
        process was going very slowly.

        > What did you do about it?

        Added my own graffiti.