Time and/or Cost Studies?

  • Chad Fowler
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
      I'm looking for studies or experiments concerning agile
      methodologies' effects on time and/or cost of development projects.
      Does anyone have any pointers to papers, presentations, or articles
      on the subject? If you don't know of formal data on the topic but
      have relevant anecdotes, please share them if you can.

      On a somewhat (but not entirely) unrelated note, I'm also looking for
      any similar material on the effects of quality on time/cost.

      Thanks in advance,
      Chad
    • GH
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
        On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 11:54:28PM -0000, some SMTP stream spewed forth:

        > On a somewhat (but not entirely) unrelated note, I'm also looking for
        > any similar material on the effects of quality on time/cost.

        Check the list archives for a big thread in the recent past about
        quality. Big Thread.

        gh

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
          Responding to Chad Fowler (11:54 PM 7/1/2001 +0000):
          >I'm looking for studies or experiments concerning agile
          >methodologies' effects on time and/or cost of development projects.
          >Does anyone have any pointers to papers, presentations, or articles
          >on the subject? If you don't know of formal data on the topic but
          >have relevant anecdotes, please share them if you can.
          >
          >On a somewhat (but not entirely) unrelated note, I'm also looking for
          >any similar material on the effects of quality on time/cost.

          I have no data on either. And I don't really expect to see any comparative
          data in the near future: there are very few controlled situations out there.

          Apocryphally, teams feel that they produce more code, better, with XP than
          however they used to do it (usually more like a chaotic approach than a
          Level 5 CMM approach).

          I believe that these XP practices contribute very directly to this "result":

          1. Comprehensive testing, especially test-first, reduces debugging time to
          a small fraction of approaches that are not so test oriented.

          2. Refactoring to keep the code as near to perfectly modular as possible
          means that the next feature is always easier to put in, instead of harder
          and harder as is experienced on systems that don't keep the code clean.

          3. The Simple Design and YAGNI principles save time that would be wasted
          building "for the future", without undue cost owing to the clean code due
          to refactoring. Building for the future is often wasted, because the
          foreseen future never comes, and even when it does, the building for the
          future turns out not to be quite right anyway. Modularity works.

          All apocryphal, but all observed informally by lots of teams. Thought
          experiments only at this point. I hope we get something more solid, but if
          not, this should be food for consideration.

          Regards,

          Ronald E Jeffries
          http://www.XProgramming.com
          http://www.objectmentor.com