Re: [XP] Units of time for estimates

  • carlton.nettleton@defenseweb.com
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 29, 2001
      We just used units/points in our office. One unit is equal to the
      estimated amount of labor a person can complete in one day without
      interruption.

      What gave us problems was the "first iteration effect." We made the
      assumption that everyone was 50% efficient, so they could complete
      2.5 units in a 40-hour workweek. People misunderstood this to mean
      that a unit was equal to four hours and started estimating as such; a
      task or a story that took 8 clock hours to complete suddenly became 2
      units. That is where we came up with the definition of a unit is an
      estimated amount of labor that can be completed in a day.

      The people in charge of the steering the company seem to like this
      definition since a unit is roughly equal to a day. We are also
      tracking the actual clock hours spent on a task or story so at the
      end of the release, we will have the number of units completed and
      the actual clock hours spent. The actual clock hours reflect the
      time spent pair programming. I have found management types like this
      info because when you bid a contract at x units, you will know it
      will take y hours and cost z dollars.

      We tried hours, be as a previous poster had mentioned, that was too
      fine of a number to use and implied much more control over the
      schedule than we actually had.
    • Nicky Petrila
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 23, 2001
        bill..just wanted to thank you...i was able to take a
        look at their website..looks very interesting..i'll
        have to drop them a line to find out when they will be
        meeting..thanks once again..nicky

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/