Re: [XP] Tools Question

  • Tom_Copeland@realeum.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 28, 2001
      Most XPers use this one:

      http://www.junit.org

      Yours,

      Tom Copeland
      tom_copeland@...
      703-317-5193

      Monica Pelayo
      <pelayo@iese. To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
      fhg.de> cc:
      Subject: [XP] Tools Question
      06/28/2001
      06:05 AM
      Please
      respond to
      extremeprogra
      mming

      Hello,

      I am working on a research project about XP, and I was wondering if you
      could tell me which tools (specially software) are you currently using on
      your XP projects.

      Thanks a lot!!

      Monica Pelayo

      Don't miss XP UNIVERSE, the first US conference on XP and Agile Methods.
      see www.xpuniverse.com for details and registration.

      This email may contain confidential and proprietary information which is
      for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you received this email in
      error, please notify the sender and delete this email from your computer.
      Any review, distribution or retransmission of or reliance on this email by
      anyone other than the intended recipient is forbidden.
    • Jason Rogers
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 28, 2001
        VAJ, CVS (to accomodate the rest of the company), JUnit, HTTPUnit,
        UltraEdit...

        I am sure others will come to mind later.

        -Jason

      • Donald F. McLean
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 28, 2001
          > I am working on a research project about XP, and I was wondering if you
          >could tell me which tools (specially software) are you currently using on
          >your XP projects.

          CodeGuide 3.0

          jCVS 5.1
          JUnit 3.x

          currently investigating:
          Profiling tools (JProbe, OptimizeIt)
          Obfuscation tools (DashO Pro)

          --
          Donald McLean dmclean@...
          Space Telescope Science Institute http://www.stsci.edu
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 28, 2001
            Oh yeah,

            We use JProbe... liked it better than OptimizeIT! (but I wasn't in on that
            discussion and the folks who were are no longer here, so asking me why would
            do no good)... couldn't find anything in NuMega's tools to warrant changing
            from JProbe Suite

            -Jason

          • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 28, 2001
              CPPUnit
              CruiseControl
              VC++6.0
              StarTeam

              Monica Pelayo
              <pelayo@iese. To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
              fhg.de> cc:
              06/28/2001
              05:05 AM
              Please
              respond to
              extremeprogra
              mming

              Hello,

              I am working on a research project about XP, and I was wondering if you
              could tell me which tools (specially software) are you currently using on
              your XP projects.

              Thanks a lot!!

              Monica Pelayo

              Don't miss XP UNIVERSE, the first US conference on XP and Agile Methods.
              see www.xpuniverse.com for details and registration.

            • Phil lewis
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 28, 2001
                We have:

                JBuilder 5
                CVS on Linux
                WinCVS
                jUnit
                Helios Software Text Pad
                Python
                VFU (As posted to this group by one of my fellow team members)

                > I am working on a research project about XP, and I was wondering if you
                >could tell me which tools (specially software) are you currently using on
                >your XP projects.

                Visual C++ 6.0 SP5
                CVS for Windows
                Rational Purify
                One guy uses Emacs for his editor but the rest of us use the Visual IDE

                Don't miss XP UNIVERSE, the first US conference on XP and Agile Methods.
                see www.xpuniverse.com for details and registration.

                The views expressed in this E-mail are those of the author and not necessarily those of Knowledge Management Software.
                If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this E-mail in error and that any use is strictly prohibited.

                If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify us by forwarding this E-mail to the following address:

                mailadmin@...
              • Niclas Olofsson
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 28, 2001
                  JUnit,
                  CruiseControl,
                  P4 (practice "Branch patterns"),
                  PowerPoint (conceptual communication),
                  JRefactory (mostly the pretty printer),
                  JBuilder,
                  Ant (with AntRunner in JBuilder)
                  (books about) patterns (architectural and design) and frameworks,
                  common sense and a positive attitude...

                  /Niclas

                  Monica Pelayo wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I am working on a research project about XP, and I was wondering if you
                  > could tell me which tools (specially software) are you currently using on
                  > your XP projects.
                  >
                  > Thanks a lot!!
                  >
                  > Monica Pelayo

                  > Don't miss XP UNIVERSE, the first US conference on XP and Agile Methods. see www.xpuniverse.com for details and registration.

                  Niclas Olofsson - http://www.ismobile.com
                  Product Development, isMobile, Aurorum 2, S-977 75 LuleƄ, Sweden
                  Phone: +46(0)920-75550
                  Mobile: +46(0)70-3726404
                • Ryan Townshend
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 28, 2001
                    I use :

                    Jext
                    JDK 1.3
                    Ant
                    JUnit

                    > I am working on a research project about XP, and I was wondering if you
                    > could tell me which tools (specially software) are you currently using on
                    > your XP projects.
                    >
                    > Thanks a lot!!
                    >

                    > Monica Pelayo

                    > Don't miss XP UNIVERSE, the first US conference on XP and Agile Methods.
                    see www.xpuniverse.com for details and registration.

                  • Michael Larionov
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 28, 2001
                      JBuilder
                      gvim
                      SQL*PLUS
                      make
                      JUnit
                      Oracle 8.i
                      etc.

                    • Rex_Jolliff@notes.ymp.gov
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 28, 2001
                        Monica Pelayo wrote:

                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > I am working on a research project about XP, and I was wondering if you
                        > could tell me which tools (specially software) are you currently using on
                        > your XP projects.

                        Some tools I have found useful:

                        gnu compiler suite,
                        make
                        cvs
                        pfe
                        source navigator (I've been toying with a refactoring menu for C++ in SN,
                        if anyone is interested, let me know.)

                        Rex.
                      • Laurent Bossavit
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 28, 2001
                          > etc.

                          I've used etc. from time to time, it can be quite handy. I heartily
                          recommend it.

                          -[Morendil]-
                          Reading this tagline will void its warranty.
                        • Doug Swartz
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 28, 2001
                            2 projects:
                            VisualAge Smalltalk
                            SUnit
                            CVS on Linux and WinCVS (for Korn Shell scripts, XML, etc.)
                            index cards
                            white boards

                            1 project:
                            VisualAge Java
                            Junit
                            Apache
                            Tomcat
                            CVSon Linux and WinCVS
                            index cards
                            white boards

                          • steve@cartsweb.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
                              I am working on an interesting project that will require us to
                              perform XP with some restrictions on tools. Here is a list of tools
                              we will be using. For the Non friendly XP tools we have developed
                              work arounds using other tools oin the interim.

                              XP Friendly
                              1. JBuilder/Visual Slick Edit - good visual and intuitive. good
                              for pairing
                              2. Ant
                              3. JUnit
                              4. HTTPUnit
                              5. CVS - Source code mgmt tool (really somewhere in the middle)
                              6. VBSF - relational mappiing tool

                              Not XP Friendly
                              1. Sablime - Source code mgmt tool
                              2. Vi

                              -Steve

                              --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Ryan Townshend" <solid_logic@h...>

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
                                I can't help wondering why two code management tools. A legacy situation of
                                some kind?

                                Responding to steve@... (08:24 PM 7/2/2001 +0000):
                                >I am working on an interesting project that will require us to
                                >perform XP with some restrictions on tools. Here is a list of tools
                                >we will be using. For the Non friendly XP tools we have developed
                                >work arounds using other tools oin the interim.
                                >
                                >XP Friendly
                                >1. JBuilder/Visual Slick Edit - good visual and intuitive. good
                                > for pairing
                                >2. Ant
                                >3. JUnit
                                >4. HTTPUnit
                                >5. CVS - Source code mgmt tool (really somewhere in the middle)
                                >6. VBSF - relational mappiing tool
                                >
                                >Not XP Friendly
                                >1. Sablime - Source code mgmt tool
                                >2. Vi
                                >
                                >-Steve
                                >
                                >--- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Ryan Townshend" <solid_logic@h...>
                                >wrote:
                                > > I use :
                                > >
                                > > Jext
                                > > JDK 1.3
                                > > Ant
                                > > JUnit

                                Ronald E Jeffries
                                http://www.XProgramming.com
                                http://www.objectmentor.com
                              • Liu, Kenneth Albert (Kenneth)** CTR **
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 5, 2001
                                  How awful. Must be an AT&T or Lucent project. :)

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 5, 2001
                                    We're using these as our main tools:

                                    Visual SlickEdit
                                    Ant
                                    JUnit
                                    J2EEUnit (aka Cactus)
                                    Visual SourceSafe
                                    XML Spy
                                    Home grown auto-build/integration system based around perl and Ant
                                    Quake (wait...that's not a tool)

                                    Also these, but to a lesser extent:
                                    JTest
                                    JProbe
                                    BugSeeker 2 (debugger)
                                    Whiteboard Photo (capture those whiteboards)
                                    T.O.A.D. (Oracle admin tool)

                                    Tools I wish we were using:
                                    CruiseControl
                                    Some better source control system

                                  • Niclas Olofsson
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 7, 2001
                                      "Liu, Kenneth Albert (Kenneth)** CTR **" wrote:
                                      > Visual SourceSafe
                                      > Home grown auto-build/integration system based around perl and Ant
                                      > Quake (wait...that's not a tool)

                                      Nope, that's not a real tool. We use CounterStrike (HalfLife ext), but
                                      currently trying hard to migrate to Operation Flashpoint.

                                      > Tools I wish we were using:
                                      > CruiseControl

                                      Why don't you use CruiseControl (it has VSS support)? Are you missing
                                      any features?! Setting up CCtrl won't take you very long.

                                      Cheers,
                                      /Niclas
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 9, 2001
                                        > > Quake (wait...that's not a tool)
                                        >
                                        > Nope, that's not a real tool. We use CounterStrike (HalfLife ext), but
                                        > currently trying hard to migrate to Operation Flashpoint.
                                        Heh heh.

                                        > > Tools I wish we were using:
                                        > > CruiseControl
                                        >
                                        > Why don't you use CruiseControl (it has VSS support)? Are you missing
                                        > any features?! Setting up CCtrl won't take you very long.
                                        No technical reason really, just not enough time. What we have now works
                                        pretty well.