RE: [XP] xp variants - xp for one-half

  • Gee, Joe
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2001
      Larry wrote:
      > Well, it's a little of both. But the kind of shifting priorities I was
      > referring to were not at the level of stories or features but projects and
      > strategic direction. Sorry for not clarifying that.

      I have definitely seen this to be true. I work in a group of eight
      developers, where we average about 4-5 projects at a time, and change
      projects anywhere from as little as every couple weeks to as "long" as a few
      months. It is extremely hard to keep quality and morale up.

      However, we are currently experimenting with a slightly modified version of
      iteration planning where each of those parallel projects is broken into
      their stories and tasks, and signed up for like any "normal" xp project.
      The biggest challenge seems to making sure that effort gets distributed
      among projects in a way that reflects the business priorities, but that is
      not far different from what release and iteration planning is about under XP
      to begin with.

      As I recall hearing repeatedly from the C3 folks (misquoted, I'm sure),
      "Someone could have given us a story for a navigation system, or anything
      else, and we wouldn't have missed a beat." We're going to try to test that
      conclusion.

      If anybody has tried this, I'd love to hear about your experiences.