Ego or hive mind? (was RE: [XP] Re: justifying XP design principl es)

  • dmitry@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      > > There is no "My", "Mine" or "I" in team. There is no room
      > > for egos in XP.
      >
      > That's a pretty harsh judgment. In my experience, people don't just
      become
      > egoless drones when they do XP.

      I think the problem here is that the word "ego" means different
      things to different people. There are at least two mutually opposed
      definitions for it: "an exaggerated sense of self-importance;
      conceit" and "appropriate pride in oneself; self-esteem".
      (http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=ego).

      If you use the first definition, "ego" is definitely something XP
      doesn't tolerate. If you use the second one, it would seem to be
      something that XP practices would encourage and foster in team
      members.

      Dmitry
    • bchambless@nrlssc.navy.mil
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2001
        --- In extremeprogramming@y..., dmitry@y... wrote:

        > I think the problem here is that the word "ego" means different
        > things to different people. There are at least two mutually opposed
        > definitions for it: "an exaggerated sense of self-importance;
        > conceit" and "appropriate pride in oneself; self-esteem".
        > (http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=ego).

        > If you use the first definition, "ego" is definitely something XP
        > doesn't tolerate. If you use the second one, it would seem to be
        > something that XP practices would encourage and foster in team
        > members.

        Absolutely!

        I've known programmers whose biggest flaw was the lack of the
        second for of "ego". Put them in a team with people who have
        too much of the first form, and things get really interesting.
        it almost requires a coach/moderator/leader to draw out the
        more timid team members (and to chill out the otheres!).