RE: [XP] Re: justifying XP design principles

  • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2001
      >> In what way does XP promote denying the self? I haven't seen anything
      >> like that.

      Jason Rogers:
      >There is no "My", "Mine" or "I" in team. There is no room for egos in XP.

      Without "I", "Team" would have no meaning.
      Without "group", "Individual" would have no meaning.
    • Michael C. Feathers
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 4, 2001
        From: <fadrian@...>
        > Perhaps in your case. But one of the stories I am starting to hear a
        > fair number of times (and enough to start setting off warning bells
        > in my head - is this a "bad smell" in the process?) is about XP teams
        > going off AND doing a good job BUT ignoring the dynamics between
        > their groups and the rest of the organization AND subsequently
        > getting trashed. The organization is an organism. What to you may
        > seem as benign growth may seem to the rest of the organization to be
        > cancerous. Cultures have antibodies as well. All I'm trying to say
        > is that one ignores the cultural and social dynamics within an
        > organization at their own risk and people should understand these
        > forces as well - something that techies are not particularly good
        > at.

        That is a very real risk. When you help organizations
        change you have to be very aware of ecology.

        Michael

        Michael Feathers mfeathers@...
        Object Mentor Inc. www.objectmentor.com
        XP & OO Training/Mentoring/Development