RE: [XP] Re: justifying XP design principles

  • Jason Rogers
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2001
      > > Some things XP promotes (intentionally or not) is to deny the self,
      > > assume the best of others, play well with others -- in general
      > > better social skills.

      > In what way does XP promote denying the self? I haven't seen anything
      > like that.

      There is no "My", "Mine" or "I" in team. There is no room for egos in XP.
      If anyone on the team has an ego problem, the team will quickly recognize it
      and its mal-effects! It will most likely be diffused quickly.

      The fact that "I" can sign up for some task is misleading. Sure I choose
      what "I" would like to work on, but "I" don't work on it alone. "I" always
      have to have someone with me as my other half, therefore it isn't "I" it is
      "we". Even at sign-up time it is a potential "we."

      Again, these are my obsevations on XP. I am more than willing to be proved
      incorrect. However, I will say that my observations (which are constantly
      developing and emerging - much like the system in XP) have made XP eXtremely
      effective for me.

      -Jason
    • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2001
        >> In what way does XP promote denying the self? I haven't seen anything
        >> like that.

        Jason Rogers:
        >There is no "My", "Mine" or "I" in team. There is no room for egos in XP.

        Without "I", "Team" would have no meaning.
        Without "group", "Individual" would have no meaning.
      • Michael C. Feathers
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 4, 2001
          From: <fadrian@...>
          > Perhaps in your case. But one of the stories I am starting to hear a
          > fair number of times (and enough to start setting off warning bells
          > in my head - is this a "bad smell" in the process?) is about XP teams
          > going off AND doing a good job BUT ignoring the dynamics between
          > their groups and the rest of the organization AND subsequently
          > getting trashed. The organization is an organism. What to you may
          > seem as benign growth may seem to the rest of the organization to be
          > cancerous. Cultures have antibodies as well. All I'm trying to say
          > is that one ignores the cultural and social dynamics within an
          > organization at their own risk and people should understand these
          > forces as well - something that techies are not particularly good
          > at.

          That is a very real risk. When you help organizations
          change you have to be very aware of ecology.

          Michael

          Michael Feathers mfeathers@...
          Object Mentor Inc. www.objectmentor.com
          XP & OO Training/Mentoring/Development